Find the answer to your Linux question:
hey I wanted to know whats the difference between linux and linux enterprise. Normaly at startup i would choose linux enterprise because it was the first on the list so ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Linux or Linux Enterprise?

hey I wanted to know whats the difference between linux and linux enterprise. Normaly at startup i would choose linux enterprise because it was the first on the list so i thought it was better. The problem was that when I would try to shut linux enterprise down it would hang at the end when it said "Power down." linux on the other hand shuts down fine. Wats the difference?

Linux Newbie
    The enterprise edition is aimed at the business customer. Where a professional or personal edition of linux focuses on being cutting-edge
    (containing the latest versions of software) and experimental, the Enterprise concentrates on being stable, supportable, and certified.
    The software packages that are used in the Enterprise are subject to careful quality control/testing.
    The enterprise is usually the cash cow as companies pay for the system on a subscription basis along with support services.

My first exposure to Linux was an accidental purchase of the Red Hat Enterprise edition which worked well on my desktop.
    With subsequent personal versions from the back cover of books one hung during installation, another installed and hung on boot up,
    however Fedora 1 worked fine. Admitidly the failed installations were likely my mistake however the Enterprise was seemed much more robust.
    If (exoskeleton || (green && wiggles)) eat_it();