Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just installed Mandrake 10.1 and having some small problems. I starts up very slow. Took more than 3 minutes to get from LILO to the desktop. Anyone know how ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Starting up very slow + shortcut question

I just installed Mandrake 10.1 and having some small problems.

I starts up very slow. Took more than 3 minutes to get from LILO to the desktop. Anyone know how i can make that faster? I have had Fedora Core 2 installed on this computer and that was much faster.

When i got in i installed Mozilla Firefox but i did not get a shortcut for it in the desktop or in the start-menu. I cannot find any files i get into firefox with.

I am totally new at Linux.

Regarding Firefox, there should be a file named 'Firefox' within were you installed the bin file. Right lick on the desktop -> Create New -> Link to application and put the path to that file as the command. That link should now open FF.

I hope this helps;

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by dylunio
    Regarding Firefox, there should be a file named 'Firefox' within were you installed the bin file. Right lick on the desktop -> Create New -> Link to application and put the path to that file as the command. That link should now open FF.
    It worked. Thanks.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I'm very glad it worked for you
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!
    If you're still interested in getting FF onto your start menu as well then you can proceed as follows:

In the 'Start' menu (or KDE or Launch menu however you feel comfortable thinking of it) select as follows:

System/Configuration/KDE/LookNFeel/Panels/Menus/Edit K menu (in MD10 MenuDrake now opens and I imagine that MD10.1 is the same)/ add application. The rest is straightforward.

You can add an icon if you want. For example in MD10 I just just click on the icon shown, when in the edit menu section to begin the process.