Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've tried installing linux on an external hard drive thru usb 2.0 and i've run into some problems. Most likely in the bootloader part of the installation..it gives me locations ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installation on External Hard Drive USB 2.0

I've tried installing linux on an external hard drive thru usb 2.0 and i've run into some problems. Most likely in the bootloader part of the installation..it gives me locations and the default location is /dev/hda..i chose this. When I rebooted the boot screen came up but when i hit enter for linux nothing happend. It was just a black screen. Does anyone know what possibly happened?What should I DO?

Just Joined!
    /dev/hda should be the first device on the primary IDE

not sure where an external hd would be but try sda or sr

adding numbers to find the patition 0-9
    g

yeah it should be sda1 if no other mass storage device is plugged in before it...though if some other mass storage device is plugged in with it or befor it or in a diffrent order diffrent order each time the sda# may change just keep that in mind
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

Just Joined!
    yeah i saw when i went to reinstall it and at the partition part that the mount point for the boot was sda1..i did run into an error tho because the swap partition seemed to have switched back to ext2:vfat..for some reason..but i'll try switchin the bootloader to the sda1