Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
i am really sorry for even posting this, but am new to both linux and drake... i dont really know where to find good info on it either. Where/what is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

general question

i am really sorry for even posting this, but am new to both linux and drake... i dont really know where to find good info on it either. Where/what is the command line?

Just Joined!
    let me revise... i am trying to install aim and other programs already set for linux and i get the install menu that asks me to save or install. This has happened several times and the instructions for install tell me to use the command line... help anyone>?

Just Joined!
    please tell me or at least tell me where to find a mandrake manual or somat

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    Amazon has some Mandrake Linux books available. Also give ebay a shot. Just remember to pay attention to the year published. Sometimes an older book although dated, will sell really cheap, and yet provide a lot of useful instruction, especially when the subject matter is new to you. Then you can turn around and resell it again on ebay..
    can't help with your other questions as I don't use that distro..

Look here and here
    If (exoskeleton || (green && wiggles)) eat_it();

Just Joined!
    I am working on linux and in college... money is a problem, anything without money involved mayhaps...?

If your install packages are RPM's then all you need to do is doubleclik and an automated installer will start for you.

The command line is just the terminal, click the icon on your start panel which looks like a black screen. Then follow the instructions that the program says. Note you need to be root to carry out these steps.

Since you are in collage, your library may have some books on linux. Just have a read of those books even though they may be for a different distro as most of the commands and stuff are the same.

Just Joined!
    graci and thanks for the understanding...

Just Joined!
    what if, as in my case the terminal program will not recognize the provided code?

Linux Newbie
    well, what code are you trying to run?

and what error message does it give you?

If your trying to install an app, it would be easier to try and find an rpm!

Just Joined!
    The aim file is an rpm the install text says "
    "You are about to install the following software package on your computer:
    /home/john/aim-1.5.286-1.i386.rpm
    You may prefer to just save it. What is your choice? "
    I ge the option to install or save. The install command gets a response of "Some package requested cannot be installed:
    aim-1.5.286-1.i386 (due to unsatisfied libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2)
    do you agree ? "
    i have also tried going by the instructions provided by aol:
    ". Download AIM onto your system.
    2. Log in as root.
    3. On the command line, type the rpm command as shown in the example: rpm -i aim-1.5.286-1.i386.rpm where 1.5.286-1 represents the AIM version and release numbers.
    4. To install a higher version of AIM, use the rpm upgrade option, for example: rpm -U aim-1.5.286-1.i386.rpm
    5. To run AIM, log in as a regular user, and type "/usr/bin/aim" on the command line."

These also do not work as even in the root, I cannot get even./command to give me a response. I constantly get the error message:
    "bash: ./command: No such file or directory"

i have also tried to run xpad, the stiicky pad system for the desktp and get similar problems. What am i doing wriong?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast