Find the answer to your Linux question:
Okay, so I've got Mandrake 10.1 installed now. At last, after all these years I've finally got around to it. Now, a few problems though. When its booting up and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

First Boot: - Crash following "startx"

Okay, so I've got Mandrake 10.1 installed now. At last, after all these years I've finally got around to it.

Now, a few problems though.
    When its booting up and the progress bar is going up the first problems comes in. The first time I booted, it went through without resorting to text, however since then its gone into its textual progression window. When it tries loading something called:

interfaceEth0

It waits for ages and then says that it has failed to load it, in red writing to the side. It then continues.

I then get into the shell, login, type in startx. And then it fills the screen with text that culminates at...

(EE) Problem parsing the config file
    (EE) Error parsing the config file

Fatal Server Error:
    No Screens Found

X10: Fatal IO Error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0"
    After 0 requiests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

Anyone had this one? Know what causes it? And suggestions etc?

Just Joined!
    Hi,
    I had a similar problem too. Why don't you post your XF86Config file here and also post the entire error message that comes. It might be something to do with the monitor. Which monitor are you using and whats your Video Card ?

Shivanu

Just Joined!
    Here is my computer spec:

AMD XP 400FSB 3600
    768 RAM
    GA-7N400 Pro 2 Gigabyte Motherboard
    Asus Radeon 9200SE Graphics Card
    USB Mouse/PS2 Keyboard

And my monitors just a general 17 incher from years ago. Its just... a very generic monitor, runs on generic drives etc. Shouldnt be causing any problems should it?

And my "XF86Config file"? Meh? I'm a complete n00b when it comes to Linux i'm afraid, and don't have a clue about how I would go about obtaining that, where it would be store, how to navigate to it or if its even possible to transfer it to an NTFS formatted drive.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    When you where going through the installation process, did you setup your GUI? If so, was it working then?

Let's start w/ X server and then we can move on to the ETH0 problem.

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!
    Setup my GUI?

I don't believe I did but I'm not entirely sure what you mean by that. Yes, I was using a GUI interface to install, yes, I setup options to do with the OS such as location and hardware config etc. Is that what you mean?

Did you test your x configuration at the end of the install?
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    After installing the software, it ran me through the options and setting up the users. It then told me to reboot. And so I did.

The next thing I did was try to load into the OS. Login... Startx... error.

Thats about what happened at the end of the install. I wouldn't know how to test it beyond that I'm afraid.

Linux Guru
    Towards the end of the installation procesdure, there's a screen where you can set various configurations like networking, time zone, mouse, etc... That's where you need to setup X server.

I believe you can get there if you just "upgrade" meaning you don't have to re-install. Otherwise, try the various drak commands available at the command prompt (drakconfig, Xdrak, etc..)
    Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!
    I've reinstalled Linux, as no matter what I played with in that options menu (none of which I could find refered to X Server). I didn't install the server related components this time, and so now it works, to the point of, it boots up.

It still takes ages to bootup though, and from what I can tell this is largly caused by the failure to load Interface Eth0. This would seem to be a problem with my wireless network device. It is a "Speedtouch 120g Wireless 802.11g USB Client". Could it be that it runs through USB? Could it be that the generic driver doesn't work with it? Or have I got it all wrong? Should I just email the manufacturer and ask for their advice?