Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello, I'm trying to install some software from RPMs (Gaim and BitTorrent) but I run into the same problem with both. After downloading and running the RPM everything seems to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Newbie RPM problem

Hello, I'm trying to install some software from RPMs (Gaim and BitTorrent) but I run into the same problem with both. After downloading and running the RPM everything seems to go smoothly. By this I mean I run the RPM it asks for the install CD that it needs and reports having completed the install. The problem is that that I don't see the program in the directory where I asked it to install. Neither can I see it using "ls." I've been prowling the forums and ran across the "rpm -qa" command and used it with "grep" and both packeages show up (though I only see BitTorrent when I run "qa" as a superuser.)

Questions:
    How can I figure out where the package is?
    How can i make it show up using "ls" or in graphical window of directoty."
    Is running Gaim as easy as executing the "./gaim" (or similar) when I do find it?
    Do I need to associate/bind the bittorrent app to get it to work?

Thanks a lot for you help!

rpm -ql --provides <packagename> will list all the files a particular rpm puts on your system. You may be able to run gaim just by typing gaim in at the command line, by the way.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    Ok I found the rpms (in usr/bin) thanks for that. You were also right that GAIM works just by typing 'gaim' at the prompt. It was easy to set up a launcher for it too.

and adivce for getting bittorrent to work?

Bittorrent is a command-line based client. You could try urpmi bittorrent-gui to get a graphical interface (I think it's included).
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Or you could try Azureus:

http://azureus.sourceforge.net/

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    ok... i used urpmi and verified that everything was installed with "urpmi -a" any idea how to get the client to actually work? typing "bittorrent" just gets a prompt that "bittorrent" is not a bash command.

I've tried azureus, even after telling it where my java jre is it still gives me a java error. I could reproduce it for you if you'd like

thanks a lof for your help so far

I think the command for bittorrent in the CLI is "btdownloadcurses.py <filename>". There may also be a "btdownloadgui.py <filename>" command, but I don't remember.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

btdownloadcurses works!
    I'm grabbing file right now!

YOU ARE THE BEST!
    THANKS SO MUCH

(In the voice of Snake from the Simpsons) Alright!

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    one mroe stupid question...

how do I stop seeding? I tried closing the terminal but the tracker has me listed as continuing to seed....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast