Find the answer to your Linux question:
So... I've gotten down to brass tacks with Mplayer. In other words I"m ready to compiile. But ./configure claims that my GCC is unsuported. (i'm fairly certain I don't have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installation CD problem

So... I've gotten down to brass tacks with Mplayer. In other words I"m ready to compiile.
    But ./configure claims that my GCC is unsuported. (i'm fairly certain I don't have it installed, is there a way to check?) In any case, I ran urpmi gcc and indeed it noticed a couple of dependencies that are missing and started to install. Here is the catch.

When installing it asks for Installtion CD3 , but when I insert CD3 it just spits the CD out and asks for it again. The CD is not scratched and when I insert the CD i can read it just fine.

Is there a way to override urpm's desire to grab from CDs (to grab from the net for example?) Alternatively can I copy all of the files from the install CD's to some location in my directory by hand? If so what urpm switch would i have to use to point the install to the local media and not the CD?

Thanks.

It would be much easier to add the contrib sources for urpmi and just do a urpmi mplayer-gui. This site can walk you through how to do that:

http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    ok... so i went to easyURPMI and selected contrib. got the following:
    urpmi.addmedia contrib ftp://ftp.ciril.fr/pub/linux/mandrak.../media/contrib with media_info/hdlist.cz

ran that (by cut and past so as not to mistype) and got this:
    medium "contrib" already exists

which makes sense since I'm pretty sure I already got the contrib files from easryURPMI. In any case, I then executed the suggest urpmi mplayer-gui command and ran into the same problem, my computer asks for install-cd3 and then spits it out and asks for it again (ad nauseum.)

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    That site also allows you to add the "main" repositories to urpmi as downloadable media. You can do that, disable the CDs as sources in the Mandrake Control Center's Software section (the media manager), and not have to futz around with CDs anymore.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    OK seriously? You rule!!!!

Watching a movie as I type this.

THANKS!!

AGAIN!!!

btw, how did you get so knowlegeable?

btw, how did you get so knowlegeable?
    Just comes naturally, I guess.

- Jeremy S. Anderson