Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Hey folks, I'm new to the message board and the Linux community... I installed MandrakeLinux this morning onto my computer and im already loving it! installation and startup is extremely ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mandrake DVD prob

Hey folks,

I'm new to the message board and the Linux community...
    I installed MandrakeLinux this morning onto my computer and im already loving it! installation and startup is extremely user freindly... it seems that I only have one problem and that is the media player will not recognize my DVDs. any ideas as to what it could be, it plays my VCDs and mpeg videos, but I do notice that the dubbing for the audio is a bit off, could this be from some sort of filter???

other than these video and audio problems I am enjoying Linux... i love the simplicity of it and theres no junk!... Thanks,

Brad...

Just Joined!

dvds

Not sure about your audio But I think I can help with your dvd problem.

To play dvds I downloaded libdvdcss-1.2.8-2.network.i386.rpm from http://cambuca.ldhs.cetuc.puc-rio.br/xine/ then from the terminal command line I typed rpm -ivh libdvdcss-1.2.8-2.network.i386.rpm. This installs the libdvdcss, then I started the kaffeine player and was able to watch dvd movies.

Also for dvd's in linux check out ogle it has a link to all the files you need on the download page.

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    yeah ok... first of all guys I thank you and I have Olgle on disk but i have no idea how to install it... someone please help me with this...

thanks,

Brad

Linux Enthusiast
    Since you are fairly new to Linux and Mandrake, you should probably try to install a ready made RPM binary package.

Did a quick Google and found this
    http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat....i586.rpm.html

I have not tested it my self, so I don't know which requirements you need to install.

And if you are unsure of how to install a ready made RPM there are a few threads about that as well in this forum.

Linux Guru
    There is MDK specific info about 1/2 way down:

http://www.linuxforums.org/tutorials...ial-19957.html

Welcome to Linux!
    Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

You could add the "contrib" sources via urpmi and then install libdvdcss (that will allow you to play encoded DVDs). There's a site that will walk you through modifying urpmi:

http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/

After you get the contrib source configured, you can use the Mandrake Control Center to install libdvdcss, mplayer, etc. or you can open a terminal and (as root) just type something like:

urpmi libdvdcss

Urpmi rocks.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the input guys... but does anyone have info or use Ogle, i cant seem to find info on how to install it...

thanks again,

Brad

If you install libdvdcss, you will be able to watch DVDs using any of the included video players (kaffeine, xine, etc.). Ogle isn't necessarily a must.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Brad_c
    Thanks for the input guys... but does anyone have info or use Ogle, i cant seem to find info on how to install it...

thanks again,

Brad
    Brad, to install Ogle, download the Source Packages from the download page, you will need, libdvdcss, libjpeg, libxml2, libmad, libdvdread, liba52, and ogle.

I'd advise to install these in the order I have given, the instructions in the first part of this page will help you with how to install.

Once you have successfuly installed each program, type
    Code:
    ogle
    in the command line to fire ogle up.

Call back if you need any more help;

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast