Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
When you do Code: umount /dev/hda5 what is the results from Code: mount Is it still there in your mount table then? You could allways try to force the umount ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

When you do
    Code:
    umount /dev/hda5
    what is the results from
    Code:
    mount
    Is it still there in your mount table then?

You could allways try to force the umount by
    Code:
    umount -f /dev/hda5

Just Joined!
    In the cupboard under the stairs probably. nr Aylesbury
    AHA
    Now we seem to be getting somewhere.
    I went through the whole lot and unmounted them using the partool then remounted them all and just accepted the defaults.
    all the icons for the parts on the desktop disappeared except for one it says hard disk and when opened it allows me access to it the actual part is /mnt/win_e
    So considering that this is the drive that would not allow access rather than being unable to open the folder, and it has a different line in fstab, I suppose if I changed all the others to match that I may get in. I want to understand what the prob is though rather than just get it to work.
    That line reads:
    Code:
    /dev/hda6 /mnt/win_e vfat umask=0,user,suid,exec 0 0
    whereas the others are all similar to:
    Code:
    /dev/hda5 /mnt/win_d vfat iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,rw 0 0
    Does this ring any bells?
    Thank You both BTW

Just a matter of getting the right permissions set in fstab.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Linux Enthusiast
    Try with
    Code:
    /dev/hda6 /mnt/win_e vfat nosuid,exec 0 0
    This is however kind of "unsafe" if you have suidperl installed in your system. According to man pages for "mount"

Just Joined!
    okay I have them all now.
    I went into the partool like you suggested and just mounted them all.
    I will use the same tool to set those permissions too.
    now to get the lan up........

Thank you chaps

I've found that it's usually a good idea to use the distros' included tools when they have them...sometimes setting things up the "normal" way breaks configs.

Besides, if you want to bring the funk, you can always do it after using the tool.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    After all the success I had in the end yesterday, I discovered to my chagrin that all the fat32 drives had become locked, regardless of the settings in the fstab and the MMC partool.
    I looked at the security level which during installation was set to Higher, I do intend this to run as a server after all, even resetting the level to Simple was not helping.
    I got incredibly frustrated and after retrying all the things I had done before I was really heading for some severe concussion.
    Rather than take it out on myself I decided to try a completely fresh install, I had been assured that fat32 is easily accessible to Users under MDK.
    This time round I set the security as simple at installation and ..Hey Presto! Immediately all the Fat32 drives appeared on the desktop. I ran the Partool and reset the permissions how I wanted them and reset the security level to higher too.
    I have had no further problems with access so far.
    I just thought I would post this as a follow up in case anyone hasthe same problem or the inkling to try and understand what was going on.
    Thank you again to Flatline and others who helped and especially for pointing me towards the MMC, which I hadn't really explored, most other replies I had read seemed to deal with fstab.
    I have everything bar the webcam working now, even the kids have internet access with less hassle than I had configuring it on XP.
    Happy as a Pig in Poo

I've found that a good way to learn without destroying your system (but where's the fun in that?) is to use tools like the Mandrake Control Center, Suse's YAST, webmin, or Fedora's tools and then check out what changed in the config files. Of course, some people like to get their hands a bit dirtier than others...I'm looking at YOU, Gentoo users

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3