Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello gang, Hate to be a noob here (but I am, you were one once too), anyways, did an install on a home server (a gateway machine) and during the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

After 10.1 install, no mouse support

Hello gang,

Hate to be a noob here (but I am, you were one once too), anyways, did an install on a home server (a gateway machine) and during the install I can use the mouse, everything works fine until it reboots after install and then the usb ports for the mouse do not work. No usb mouse that I own will work (I have tried logitech, microsoft, serial, ps/2... nada. I checked the bios, everything seems to be in order (otherwise you would assume that the mouse would not work during install).

I am wondering if it is the version that I am using, if I maybe have a bad copy? Any thoughts?

My problem lies in the fact that I am new to linux, so navigation and file updates (drivers etc...) is greek.

Have you tried enabling/disabling acpi or setting noapic (a likely culprit if this is a problem with an interrupt problem) in your bootloader configuration? The file would be /etc/lilo.conf by default in Mandrake.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

You could also try running mousedrake from a terminal.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    As I am a complete noob, I know how to get into the terminal, but as far as lilo etc goes, is there a straight forward was of enabling/disabling acpi or setting noapic? (would I do that during setup?)

You can do it during setup; there's also a really easy way to do it in the Mandrake Control Center (they're literally checkboxes there). MCC could be a bit tough to navigate without a mouse, so if you don't want to try that, you can look for a line in your /etc/lilo.conf file with append= at the beginning. You can add noapic or acpi=off or acpi=on to that line and save the file, then run "lilo -v". Just make sure that the line you're changing is your default boot image (usually just named "linux" in Mandrake).

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Remember to run
    Code:
    /sbin/lilo
    as root in the terminal after you edit your /etc/lilo.conf

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Linux Guru
    If you scroll down about six posts, you'll find this one:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/topic-35681.html

I think it's a solution.
    Jeremy aka Ringo.
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!

I can't believe this is a security related issue, BUT IT IS.

It turns out that anything above standard security causes my mouse to not function. Any USB device actually, so my question is this. I am trying to set this up as a server, how do I have it be secure while being able to use my mouse?

There are ways of seting up servers so that they are secure without haveing the paranoid setting, apache has a part for confuguring the security of apache, samba has a file for configuring security, etc.

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Linux Enthusiast
    Hmm! Why use X when you are about to use it as a secure server?
    I don't mean to be rude, but, if you are going to use it as a server, usually you want all memory and processor time to be allocated to your server software, not to any graphical interface.
    If it is for easy admin, you should try www.webmin.com as an alternativ admin interface.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast