Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
I have been trying all day to get the nvidia drivers installed, I managed to get the driver package to run in a terminal but with the X server running, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!
    In the cupboard under the stairs probably. nr Aylesbury

Lilo bootloader and nvidia graphics install

I have been trying all day to get the nvidia drivers installed, I managed to get the driver package to run in a terminal but with the X server running, it of course told me it had to be shut down first. Okay I then managed to get into a non gui environment by logging off (somehow).
    I managed to run the driver package but it told me it couldn't find a compatible kernel source.
    Okaay I have installed the 2.6.8.1-12mdk package, but now I seem to be unable to boot or logoff into a non gui env. Also since running the driver package it now appears to have disappeared (as far as the terminal is concerned) it is still visible in my /home/billybeag/folder however. I have since deleted this one and downloaded it again.
    What I need to know is how do I get a terminal only(non GUI) option in the lilo loader?

You don't have to. If you're in a GUI environment, you can open a terminal and (as root) type:

Code:
    init3
    or
    Code:
    telinit3
    and it'll drop you to the CLI

You definitely need to install the kernel-source package, if you haven't already.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    I installed the enterprise one by mistake first I think which is how I ended up in a no GUI env.
    I have got the above mentioned package installed now, though I would have thought this distro 10.1 would have the latest stable kernel package already installed.
    I am probably misunderstanding something....
    oh well here goes...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Those commands both worked fine for getting out of the GUI.
    However I cannot get that ****** file to run I keep getting a no such file or directory message, I have checked the filename and cd'ed to the correct folder but it still cannot find it.
    I even browsed to the right folder and copied the directory and filename from the address bar and then stuffed it into the terminal window to see if it would at least initialise, no luck.

Do I need to actually be in the correct directory to run this, or is there some way I can get the terminal to find the file and run it?
    It does seem that nvidia have done their best to get this package as simple as possible, but for someone who has been supporting windows OS's for years I am really starting to feel pretty stupid.

If it's in (for example) the /root directory you could run it like:

sh /root/nvidia-<version_numbers>

You have to run it as root.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    LOL I just tried something else which very oddly worked.
    In a previous post on "ATI or Nvidia?" you inserted a peice of code
    Code:
    sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6629-pkg1.run -q
    okay this is exactly the same as I am typing in to the terminal same case etc. but my typing does not work, but if I copy/paste your code into the terminal it runs!

Wierder than wierd

Now you need to modify your xorg.conf file

Code:
    /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    In the "device" section, specify nvidia in the "Driver" field. After that, you can "modprobe nvidia" and "startx" and have 3D acceleration enabled.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    WOW Trigger !
    I haven't actually got it to run outside of the Xserver yet. I managed to get it to run like I said but if I copy your code then go into the terminal and drop the xserver it doesn't keep the clipboard contents.
    Still trying though.

Are you logging in as root at the terminal? If so, then you're starting out in the /root directory not your home directory (/home/<username>). You need to either define the whole path to the file:

Code:
    sh /home/<username>/nvidia-<version_number>
    or go to that directory and run the script from there:

Code:
    cd /home/<username>
    sh nvidia-<version_number>

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    hmmmm
    I have actually been trying that.
    I am root while doing this and have cd'ed to the right folder.
    I must be making some kind of typo somewhere. It is odd.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast