Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have been trying to run Mandrake 10.1 PPC from my external FWD. I partitioned the drive in 3, one Apple format and the other 2 Freespace. The install went ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mandrake 10.1 PPC on a Firewire drive?

I have been trying to run Mandrake 10.1 PPC from my external FWD. I partitioned the drive in 3, one Apple format and the other 2 Freespace. The install went smoothly till we got to the Bootloader section. I created a space for Apple bootstrap (no mount point) and that was fine but when it came to configuring the Bootloader and wanting the info for default startup, etc... I started getting this error message, /usr/sbin/ofpath failed ...propagated. This I know has to do with the reason I can not boot into Linux at start up and only into Mac OS X. Yes I am trying to do this on a G4 PowerMac. I believe other than the yboot not happening at start up I do have Mandrake installed, but how to boot it? What would I type at the command line in the Firmware prompt? Currently if I want to boot the Linux CD I type: boot cd:,\boot\yaboot but all that does is give me a chance to reinstall which is not what I want to do (done that 5 times now).I suppose the question here is, is anyone running Mandrake 10.1 off an external FWD? I would sincerely appreciate any info on this? Thanks!

Just Joined!

brave soul

Wow, hadn't tried mandrake yet but I am impressed it actually allowed the install to the fw drive.. Kubuntu doesn't allow the option... I have been googling for days and the only stuff I came across are non-trivial open firmware hacks to give the OF fw device name and initrd hacks.. yuk.. I know that Yellow dog has it figured out and I am now downloading the install cd to check it out but I am not holding my breath.. Of course if all else fails we could install on the internal drive and use the FW for OS X but that is not my first option.. have you received any further info from mandrake users?

Just Joined!

limbo

No I have no additional info. I have found the same hacks you have mentioned but have not attempted them. The firewire drive sits patiently waiting for me to solve this issue so the system it contains actually comes alive. Please post any additional info you may have discovered. thanks!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close