Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I'm a new Linux user; I recieved a secondhand Windows/Mandrake computer from a friend. I connected my old hard drive to the partitioned Win/Lin one, and now I can't ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Kernel Panic: no init option found.

Hello,
    I'm a new Linux user; I recieved a secondhand Windows/Mandrake computer from a friend. I connected my old hard drive to the partitioned Win/Lin one, and now I can't boot up in Linux.
    All it tells me is "Kernel panic: no init option found. Try passing init= option to kernel."

I've tried looking at other help files, but I don't understand a lot of the terminology. If you could tell me as basically as possible, that would be wonderful. I'm still trying to find my way around.

Thanks in advance!

Linux Engineer
    how did you connect your other hard drive? same ide channel? did you make it the master?
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Just Joined!
    yes, I made it the master. But I also have a prompt that pops up every time I start my machine (powered by mandrake) that allows me to pick either Linux, windows failsafe, windows or boot off floppy each time, so would it be a problem?

Just Joined!
    I believe it was the same IDE channel, but even when I disconnected the second hard drive, it won't let me access Linux again.

Linux Enthusiast apoorv_khurasia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by technofaerie
    I believe it was the same IDE channel, but even when I disconnected the second hard drive, it won't let me access Linux again.
    Check again. Just to make sure that this is the case. I faced the same problem and when I changed my channel it worked. The drive to be booted has to be your primary IDE drive. or else check that in your boot device priority.
    "There is no sixth rule"
    --Rob Pike
    Registered Linux User: 400426 home page

Just Joined!
    Thanks apooriv,

I tested that, and I found that when the second hard drive is unplugged, it will load Linux (I also found that I have Mandrake v. 9.1), but it won't initalize my KDE enviroment, and gives me something similar to what you would get when you open the shell console: [myusername@localhost ~]$

I'm not sure what to to from there to get my KDE back. Any advice?

Thank you both for your help!