Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
sorry but im a complete newbie..... when i type k and ennter the process id it says "kill with signal 15" when i press enter nothing happens....when i type y ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

sorry but im a complete newbie.....
    when i type k and ennter the process id it says "kill with signal 15" when i press enter nothing happens....when i type y nothing...when i type yes......even more nothing.......
    sorry but this must seem pretty dumn question.....but what next....

Linux Enthusiast
    Hmm! When I come to think about it, you should check which under laying process that kdeinit has started prior you try to kill the process.

Done by
    Code:
    ps xa | grep 'kdeinit'
    mian@harrier:~> ps xa | grep kdeinit
    11185 ?        D      0:00 kdeinit: kcminit
    11427 ?        D      0:00 kdeinit: kcminit
    However, it is not that strange that kdeinit has started even though you get going into Gnome, because, kdeinit is started by KDM, which is part of KDE.

Just Joined!
    ok ok so i killed the process using the system monitor...i then got an error message saying that kde mountwatcher had been turned off and that i should please turn it on again ....but now things are blissfully quiet and much cooler....is there a way i shut this process of permanently.....

but atleast i can turn it off....its a start...

the process had somthing to do with kdeinit kbed....what is mountweatcher and when would i want to use devices/protocol

Linux Enthusiast
    Well, to get rid of KDE, i think you should uninstall everything that has to do with KDE, or it might helt ju to just change your XDM from KDM to GDM.

Anyhow, if I where you, I would investigate why the process spin off like a wild cat

Just Joined!
    i honestly have no idea how im meant top do that.....linux is quite a different atmosphere from xp...what im used to......
    which is fine...change is...more interesting....
    i think ill read through the command line manual and see if im any smarter....thanks for all the help....im linuxing it from now on..-...

Linux Enthusiast
    You'll change the XDM in Mandrake Controll Center.

Good luck with the good working Linux box now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2