Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey guys, Im wondering what the difference between KDE and Gnome is??? is it just personal preference or what??? this is a dumb question but I wanna know. Thanks, Brad...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

KDE & Gnome???

Hey guys,

Im wondering what the difference between KDE and Gnome is??? is it just personal preference or what??? this is a dumb question but I wanna know.
    Thanks,

Brad

Linux Enthusiast
    Generally I would say it is a personal preference.
    But there are differences as well, they use different API's,
    they are built on different developer kits (which referers back to different API's).

A second oppinion would also be that, if you use alot of KDE aware apps, and wish to use the dock-in function, then KDE should be your choice, and of course wise versa.
    But more and more, all apps are going to be both Gnome and KDE aware, so they will dock-in to both managers.

Me my self, find KDE a bit to much memory consuming.

Just Joined!
    Hmmm interesting... I notice that KDE doing nothing uses over 200mb of ram maybe i should try using Gnome for playing high quality videos... thanks Swemic...

Brad

Just Joined!
    It's not a dumb qestion. If you take a look at them you will see that they are both very good and basically do the same things. Sometimes there are apps that are tailored for one environment and not the other. I can't really judge the relative merits because, although I have used Gnome, because my of experience has been with KDE I'm comfortable with it. If I switched to Gnome I would probably believe its awful but that would be simply my reaction to something I don't know. The distros I use usually have KDE as the default or only environment.

I think that if you are new to linux you really should consider whether or not a distro offers what you want and not worry too much about KDE or Gnome.

Just Joined!
    well mandrake was originally red hat for kde users
    so it may run better
    but if you've got enuf space install both and see which you like
    g