Find the answer to your Linux question:
I was wondering if linux is just as suseptable to viruses as windows, ive heard that you dont even need virus protection for going on the internet is this true?, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux and viruses

I was wondering if linux is just as suseptable to viruses as windows, ive heard that you dont even need virus protection for going on the internet is this true?, if I do need one where can i get one???

thanks guys

Linux is definitely NOT as susceptible to viruses as Windows is. You do still need to take some precautions, however...like making sure you are running a firewall, etc. Kind of like remembering to lock your car doors - common sense, but not everyone does it.

The only real reason to run a virus scanner on linux is if you use your linux box as a file server for Windows machines (that way, you'll keep yourself from spreading the virus-infected files to your Windows machines if they get put on your file server).
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Some people would disagree, but I am of the opinion that antivirus software is pretty much useless in Linux since at the moment there simply are no real viruses being written for it.

The Register and a few other publications have published some of the reasons why. The only reason I can think of that one would want antivirus on Linux is to protect MS Windows machines on the same network, because although Windows viruses don't affect Linux, a Linux system can pass on Windows viruses to machines on the same network.

A good firewall is always recommended, however.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Newbie
    I used to think Linux really didn't have to worry about viruses, but then I read about rootkits. From the description of what they can do to the system, it seems that they are the exact equivalent of viruses, except that when they hit, they are typically much harder to diagnose or get rid of.

There is still no question in my mind that linux is more secure by comparison, simply because of its restricted permissions system and the fact that it (and the software designed for it) understands that the internet is an inherently untrustworthy network.
    \"Nifty News Fifty: When news breaks, we give you the pieces.\" - Sluggy Freelance

Quote Originally Posted by Workaphobia
    I used to think Linux really didn't have to worry about viruses, but then I read about rootkits. From the description of what they can do to the system, it seems that they are the exact equivalent of viruses, except that when they hit, they are typically much harder to diagnose or get rid of.
    Hence why a good firewall is recommended. If a cracker can't get onto your system to install a rootkit, it's not a problem.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

One must remember that virii are still a slight threat when running WINE

But generally, a good firewall is ok, as well as not running as root.

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2