Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
this is the first time I have installed linux and I have a question I Installed linux and everything seems to have gone smooth. When i boot it says ok ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

just installed new to linux

this is the first time I have installed linux and I have a question I Installed linux and everything seems to have gone smooth. When i boot it says ok for everything so thats im assuming what it is suppose to do but then it goes to a does looking screen and it says.

mandrakelinux release 10.1 (Official) for i586
    kernel 2.6.8.1-12mdk on an 1686 / tty1
    localhost login:

I type the user name that I made when I installed it but it will not let my type in a password also I tried root and that does not let me type in a password either.

is there anyway to get this thing to boot right into mandrake linux? what do I do to get past this?

So you're saying it won't take either your root or user password after you sign in as root or user? Are you certain you're putting in your root password exactly as you typed it in during the installation? Are you sure you are using the correct case? If so, then when it asks for login name you put:

root

And press enter. It will then ask for the roots password. Type it in and press enter. Still nothing?
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    the problem is it lets me type in root or my user name but it does not let me type in a password. I only did a 3 disc install if that makes a diffrence and I downloaded them. Also Im not even sure if this is where I should put the root or user name I know nothing about linux

Just Joined!
    ok it work im dumb did'nt know you could type the password and even if it does not display it you press enter and it works. now it says

[root@localhost root]#

what do i do to log in?

Being mdk, I assume you sign in with kdm. From where you are go:

Code:
    kdm
    And press enter. That should bring up kdm where you can choose your DE (Desktop Environment.) Choose it and enter your username and password and you should be in. If on the other hand, it won't let you sign in as a regular user, you'll have to go into the mandrake control center and add your user account there. Once that's done, log back out, then log in under the username and password you just created.

Just Joined!
    hmmm that doesnt seem to do anything it just says
    -bash: kdm: command not found

i tryed typeing kde and it sayed fatal server error: no screens found

when I installed it i shoes kde or what ever its called to be my ummm navigater i guess you would say or it seemed that way by how it was worded. I'm not sure if that helps at all.

do I need to find a place that has the 4th disk?

im so lost on this whole think sorry

thank you for all this help

Just Joined!
    i talk to some guy and gave him some errors it said and he said sounds like its the graphics card. i have a nvidia graphics card anyone know how to fix this problem?

OK, do this. Boot back up, sign in as root just like you did before. Then type:

Code:
    startx
    And press enter. It will then throw up errors, and maybe say something about "screens not found." At any rate, read and try to understand the errors that it is giving, write them down and post them here. This may not be too difficult to troubleshoot.

Just Joined!
    I got it to work!!!!! kind of ha ha ha i used some can-ed nvidia drivers from the mandrakes disk when i reinstalled so now im reading through how to navigate outside of x to change the free86 sounds like alot of work but i hope its worth it.

quick question i know how to go into files and edit text and stuff but how do you see whats in the folder? that is when you are outside of x. and what is the dos ish thing outside of x called?

Quote Originally Posted by eikotec
    quick question i know how to go into files and edit text and stuff but how do you see whats in the folder? that is when you are outside of x. and what is the dos ish thing outside of x called?
    That would be cat, e.g.
    Code:
    cat /etc/inittab
    will give you the contents of the inittab

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast