Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I'm trying to re-install Mandrake 10.1 Official after an experiment in adding Fedora into another partiton messed up MDK. I've formatted the partitons and tried 3 times re-installing, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Can't get MDK 10.1 offical to re-install properly

Hi all,

I'm trying to re-install Mandrake 10.1 Official after an experiment in adding Fedora into another partiton messed up MDK. I've formatted the partitons and tried 3 times re-installing, I also tried using partition hda5 instead of hda6 where I normally have Mandrake, I get the same result.

Here's what I'm left with;

My CD rom & DVD Rom don't appear on the desktop but they show as mounted, same applies to the floppy. Konqueror won't launch, not for the web nor anything else including viewing files. The sound is not working, looks like the wrong device and driver are being accessed and any changes I make don't seem to save.

I though that maybe there was an issue with the partition I was using ie: bad sectors but when I tried a different partition, I got the same result.
    Also, I used to have to double-click anything on the desktop to open it, now one click and it responds. It's like a different version of MDK is being installed. What could be the cause of this? Could the DVD Rom be corrupt? How can I determine if it is? I remember, recently when I put the DVD Rom in to restore the bootloader, it wouldn't launch, but that seemed to just go away.

I'd really appeciate any help/suggestions I can get as I'm right out of ideas at this stage.

Thanks everone,

Martin,

Dublin Ireland
    LINUX: Where do you want to go.......Tomorrow!

Registered Linux user 396633

Ok, update....

I was able to install SuSE 9.2 into the hda6 partiton, letting it remove the Mandrake install I was having trouble with. Again, the finger of suspicion points to the Mandrake DVD Rom itself. Anyone know a good free programme for Linux or even Windows that will check the disk for corruption?

Martin,

Dublin, Ireland

Update,update....

The Mandrake DVD Rom has had it, it would seem. i got a cleaning tool for DVD's and when the finger marks etc, were removed, a lot of scratches and dints were revealed. I have SuSe 9.2 to keep me going for now but I'll have to see what my optons are as to getting replacemnt install media. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Moral of the story....if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it!

Martin

Dublin, Ireland

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close