Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have three machines online via a gateway: Mandrake 10.1, MS XP Pro, and MS XP Home. The problem is that I cannot access Windows shares from the Linux box ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Trouble accessing files shared over network

I have three machines online via a gateway: Mandrake 10.1, MS XP Pro, and MS XP Home. The problem is that I cannot access Windows shares from the Linux box and vice versa.

I've attempted to change the workgroup of the Linux box [from the default MDKGROUP] to the workgroup of the XP boxes [MACROSCAT] via editing /etc/samba/smb.conf. Although smb.conf retains "workgroup = MACROSCAT", MDKGROUP is all that I see in the Smb4k browser window.

There's a single tree there:
    |_____Network______|__Type__|__IP_Address__|__Comm ent__|
    -MDKGROUP
    ----LOCALHOST
    --------print$ . . . . . . . . . . . . . Disk

I have also edited a field called "SMB domain (workgroup)" from the "Settings" menu of the above browser.

I've read the Windows -> Linux file sharing section of the Mandrake 10.0 documentation (section 11.3.5 of a document called _Starter_), but am no smarter as a result it seems.

If someone knows what I am missing and/or knows of an informative resource, please post. Thanks.

Search google for this "The unofficial Samba HOWTO", it helped me install and configure my samba network. Also, if you don't have luck with the text based method, install swat. It can be found on the install cd's.

Just Joined!

Resolved

Thanks AlexK, that's exactly what I needed.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close