Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
I hope you are right about the direction being ndiswrapper. If I decided to replace my wireless card (netgear wg311 802.11g) what would you recommend that works out of the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I hope you are right about the direction being ndiswrapper. If I decided to replace my wireless card (netgear wg311 802.11g) what would you recommend that works out of the box with RedHat, Mandrake or SuSE?

Any "can't miss" cards?

I'm partial to the Netgear MA311 and have three of them, but there are others out there just as good or better. Here is a very good place to start researching Linux wireless options.
    I use 802.11b and really see no need at this point to upgrade to 802.11g. "B" has been fast enough for me.
    Thing is though, your card WILL work with Linux using the ndiswrapper. Sure you don't want to give it another go? I'm sure someone here can guide you through it. I wish I could.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Netgear WG311

Did anybody ever get their Netgear working? i installed one, after pulling out the LAN card completely and rebooted but nothing comes up "automatically". i go to MCC to Install New Connection and get as far as it showing a list of drivers from which i'm supposed to choose the correct one... Have tried several, but all to no avail. Any ideas? Have a nice evening!

Quote Originally Posted by springshades
    I don't think hardware companies are completely indifferent, I just think that it is VERY difficult to deal with releasing software to the Linux community. In order for a company to release software that will work on any Linux distro, they have to release the source code. Then they get screwed because they put a ton of money into developing their software, and any other company can use it in the same way without having to put in an investment. Of course, one of the biggest pushes in the Linux community is to get more source code released, but I can see how it would be a bad business model. There is no way to make a LOT of money off software that anyone can have for free.

<snip>
    Well - I have to disagree:

1. drivers are very small pieces of software - not huge investments like Open Office or ???

2. drivers are specific to the hardware - not something the competition can really take and use unless they are buying your hardware

3. drivers are only written for your customers! The more drivers you write as a hardware co - the more customers you have - the more money you make.

Sorry to be off-topic, but couldn't let this one lie...
    - Clouds don't crash - Bertrand Meyer

registered Linux user 393557

finally - hw to brag about - but next year it will look pitifully quaint:
    Athlon64 X2 3800 - 1G PC3200 - 250G SATA - ati radeon x300
    circa 2006

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3