Find the answer to your Linux question:
OK, I've got a an old laptop (hitachi pentium 2 266 MHz) that I am trying to put Mandrake 10.1 on. I've tried several times to install using cd's to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Computer to Computer Installation

OK,

I've got a an old laptop (hitachi pentium 2 266 MHz) that I am trying to put Mandrake 10.1 on. I've tried several times to install using cd's to install, but the cd-rom drive on the laptop is too outdated to read these new 700 mb cd-r's. I've already tried using a boot image of the cdrom also, which didn't work.

But, I have a desktop with the files on it, and a cat5 cable which I can use to connect both my desktop and my laptop. Is there anyway that I can install mandrake by doing this (installing using the installation files on my desktop pc by this connection?)

I think this is the only viable way for me to do this. My laptop hard drive has been formatted, so I think I will have to make some kind of boot disk for this. I'm just not sure how to do that.

If anyone knows anything about this, please reply!

Thanks!

Ty

If your laptop has a floppy drive, make a bootdisk for linux. What you do is goto the folder which looks like D:/dosutils/rawwrite.exe and run this program where d is your cd-rom. insert a floppy and point the rawwrite program to this location for a boot image: d:\install\images\network or even cdrom

I don't think your cdrom is incapable of reading cd-r's, it is just that it cannot boot off a cd. I had a pentium MMX with the same problem.

Just Joined!
    Thanks Alex K.

Do you mean to make a standard floppy boot disk with an cdrom.img file on it to get the process to start?

If that is what you meant, I have already tried that. Sorry I didn't include it in my earlier post. So, yeah, i've tried using a floppy boot for my cd-rom to read the cd, but still I'm not getting anywhere.

Any other suggestions?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    try the network install... if you have access to an internet connection.

Brian