Find the answer to your Linux question:
Yesterday I've installed Firefox. Great! I changed the file associations so that Firefox became the default manager of .html files. BUT! I don't know how, now Firefox took over Konqueror ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

The War of the Browsers

Yesterday I've installed Firefox. Great! I changed the file associations so that Firefox became the default manager of .html files. BUT! I don't know how, now Firefox took over Konqueror and opens by default all the links. Firefox is a great internet browser but it definitely doesn't work as an internal browser. No icons, no commands, etc.
    I've tried to change the associations of the directories and links so that Konqueror would open them. e.g. open with... then ticking the "remember the association for this kind of files". No use.
    In my frustration, I even deleted Firefox, but when I click on a link it still tries to open it with Firefox (which won't happen because I deleted it).
    What should I do to browse my files with Konqueror and the Internet with Firefox? Apart from re-installing Mandrake again.

Go back to the KDE Control Center and make Konqueror the default browser for everything. Then try again.

Here's the stupid thing--if you select "Remember the association" it adds the new application association to the BOTTOM of the list, rather than the TOP. That means that it will NOT override your existing default application (which is, 99% of the time, what you want to do).

In order to make the remembered association the default, you need to go into Konqueror's File Association configuration and manually bump the associated app to the top of the list. Find the file type, and you'll see a short list of associated applications--with your new associated app at the bottom. Move it up to the top.
    Isaac Kuo, ICQ 29055726 or Yahoo mechdan