Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I'm having trouble accessing my mandrake system via telnet. (Over a LAN) I've been doing some C and C++ programming on the system by telnetting from a Windows machine. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

No Telnet access

Hello,
    I'm having trouble accessing my mandrake system via telnet. (Over a LAN) I've been doing some C and C++ programming on the system by telnetting from a Windows machine. I had no difficulty with RedHat 6.0 and once I moved to RedHat 9.0 I was able to log in...for a while. One day, without rhyme or reason, I was suddenly unable to telnet into my Linux machine. I thought it was the RedHat installation as I'd played with it ...a lot. So I installed my copy of mandrake 10.1 community over it. Guess what. Still no telnet access. I'm assuming it's a windows problem, but I can't find it. I can telnet to another windows machine w/o problems. Plus I have SMB set up on my mandrake machine and can browse my windows drives from Linux and vice-versa. I'm missing something. What is it? Please help!

you need to open up port 23 in your linux firewall

Linux Enthusiast
    I think that by default telnet has been disabled in both MDK 10.x and RH9.x

I would really encourage you to consider using ssh rather than telnet, due all security flaws with telnet.

A free of charge ssh cilent for Windows is PuTTY

just to make sure I am not wrong about my above statement, do
    Code:
    netstat -na |grep ':23'
    I would imagine that you will not get any reply from that command, if this is true, telnet is disabled on your Linux

I also recommend dumping telnet in favor of SSH (had to edit the post because I got beaten to saying that while I was typing, by the way). SSH creates an encrypted session, whereas telnet does not. I think SSH uses port 22 by default, so if you make the switch, keep in mind you'd have to open that port.

In Mandrake, by the way, I think there's a simple "check-box" configuration tool for the firewall in the Mandrake Control Center where you can configure which services are allowed to connect to that box.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson