Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Do you have acpi installed and running? Code: ps aux | grep acpid Jeremy...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Do you have acpi installed and running?

Code:
    ps aux | grep acpid
    Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy1701
    Do you have acpi installed and running?

Code:
    ps aux | grep acpid
    Jeremy
    That's one of the reasons I tell guys to go through the MCC...it would take care of that automatically. I wouldn't be surprised at all if this were the case (although it is an easy problem to fix). If it's not installed, just run
    Code:
    urpmi acpi
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!

mandrake 10.1 won't shut down properly

Ok, I'm going to go out on a limb here and exhibit my own ignorance. First of all, what is MCC? I checked the index in my copy of Linux in a Nutshell and can't find any references to it. I tried entering "urpmi acpi" as a command and I got back "bash: urpmi: command not found". Again I find no reference to urpmi in the book. What is it and what is it supposed to do? One thing I forgot to mention is that when it hits the power down step you can actually hear a click as if the switch is tripping correctly, but there is no visible effect. It's not a hardware problem because as I mentioned in the first post it still works fine with windows.

mcc is the Mandrake Controle center

try with urpmi:
    Code:
    su
    [rootpass]
    urpmi <program>
    dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

I tried entering "urpmi acpi" as a command and I got back "bash: urpmi: command not found"
    You will get that error if you don't run urpmi as root. urpmi is a package installer that solves package dependencies for you (among other things), keeping you away from the "dependency hell" you'll hear about from people who've run into it.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!

Ok, I logged on as root used urpmi acpi which installed something off the installation cd rom (I'm assuming acpi), then used ps aux | grep acpid which, if I'm understanding properly, checks active processes for the file acpid. Here's what it gave me

"root 199907 0.0 0.0 292 140 pts/l R+ 19:44 0:00 grep acpid"

The only part of this that I understand is the system time 19:44, but all those 0.0's don't look promising. I then double checked lilo.conf using vi to ensure that acpi was set to force, and made sure to run lilo -v. I then shut it down, then turned it off with the manual power switch, rebooted it, and once again tried to shut it down. It hung on power down the same as before. Can any one translate that grep line above? Most of it is gibberish to me.

Hmmm, this is a difficult one! I think it's true to say that ACPI support is still maturing in Linux, and some people have real problems - probably depending on your hardware/firmware. I'm not even sure there is a solution to this! A lot of stuff in Linux is reverse engineered after all.

I've searched through the Slackware forum a bit, and they often have this problem. May be worth (I'm assuming you're still sane after all you've tried) adding pci=noacpi to the global section of lilo.conf then running lilo -v again.

This is a long shot but it might work. If you feel techy, read http://acpi.sourceforge.net for some info. You may find a kernel patch or something similar. This is not a good thing for a noob, but maybe all you have!
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!

I appreciate all the help you guys have given on this issue, and so quickly too. Even if the original problem persists, I still learned some good stuff by trying out the proposed fixes. At least I was able to get the power button working, and as long as that works, the rest amounts to only a minor inconvenience. Bottom line, I can live with it. Many thanks for the assist. If I run into further troubles I'll be back.
    -Brent

Linux Guru
    One more thing before you call it quits. Is it possible that your bois is controlling power management ? In some bioses, you can change whether it's controlled by bios or OS. You might also check whether your bios is set to APM or ACPI.

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2