Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I just recently installed Mandrake 10.1 as a dual boot, but when I try to shut it down, it freezes. It gets all the way to the power down step ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

mandrake 10.1 won't shut down properly

I just recently installed Mandrake 10.1 as a dual boot, but when I try to shut it down, it freezes. It gets all the way to the power down step and just stops. The only two ways that I have found to shut it off are to physically pull the plug or to elect to restart using windows at the beginning of the shut down procedure. Ctrl+Alt+Del does not work once it hits the freeze point, neither does the regular power button. Every thing still works fine on the old windows 98 system that I run on the same machine. The CPU is a Pentium3, if that makes any difference. If any one has any ideas I'm open to suggestions, but please try to keep explanations on newbie level as this is my first Linux system. Thanks in advance.
    -Brent

This *may* be an ACPI problem - that's a feature in your BIOS that handles power management. If you go into your BIOS during boot time, make sure that the ACPI feature is enabled.

If this works, let me know as I've not seen this problem with Mandrake... it's more common with Slackware, but can also depend on which kernel you are using. Some kernels (the very core of your operating system which handles almost everything!) are not set up with ACPI by default.

Hope this helps
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

And for Mandrake to actually use ACPI, you have to modify your bootloader. For 10.1, it's as simple as checking a box in the Mandrake Control Center's bootloader tool (just be sure to click Next and not Back after you check the box or it won't save your changes).
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Better, but still not quite right. Manual shutdown using the power button works now, but it still hits a wall at the power down step. I can live with it as long as the power button works, but I still have to hold it down for the full four seconds. Thanks for the suggestions, any further ideas?

If you've set up the bootloader for ACPI, you would have to reboot to see if it worked (it has to actually boot up with that setting on).
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Linux Guru
    I believe that MCC changes the value in lilo to ACPI=on. You may have to manually edit /etc/lilo.conf to read ACPI=force in order for shutdown to work properly. After you've done that, make sure to run the command lilo -v.

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!

Sorry, no dice. Still have to press and hold power button.

Just Joined!

Ok, I'm in lilo.conf and I found acpi. Currently it = ht. Before I change anything does this sound right?

acpi=ht is there for hyperthreading (if I remember correctly) and so would be equivalent to acpi=off for a pentium 3 cpu (which is what you said you have). Change it to acpi=on or acpi=force and then run lilo -v (otherwise your changes will not take effect - the -v flag gives verbose output, so if there's an error it will give more info than the standard command).

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!

Ok, tried that. Still won't power down. Now it gives me an error message during shut down in verbose mode that I didn't get before. When it shuts down "loopback interface" I get " ./if down: line 73: kill: (7121) - No such process" and a big red [FAILED] it then continues to stop harddrake and start killall. Next several processes are all [OK] but still no action on power down. I appreciate the help and I don't want to be a pest, but I'm very new to this system and might need a little handholding 'til I get off the ground here.
    -Brent

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast