Find the answer to your Linux question:
Oh dear, I seem to have filled up my / partition. I have about a 1gb of space allocated there, which I thought would be sufficient for the system to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!
    In the cupboard under the stairs probably. nr Aylesbury

Borked /home/ folder!

Oh dear, I seem to have filled up my / partition.
    I have about a 1gb of space allocated there, which I thought would be sufficient for the system to getting going on with.
    Then there is a swap file also 1gb.
    after that is /usr which is 6.9gb.
    I kind of assumed when I allocated the space, that all the stuff I created, downloaded etc would end up in the /usr partition. I think I may have ended up d'l'ing tons of replacement rpms yesterday, though where they are I dunno.....
    I have gone through all the folders in the culprit directory which is /home/billybeag and moved some obvious things. In this directory however there is a file called .xsession-errors this file is, (and try not to laugh, well not too hard anyway), 568 mb!
    Can I delete it? Why is it growing so big, is it a log setting that is basically echoing everything there?

Is it possible/advisable to move my /home/billybeag folder on mass to the /usr partition, I realise that there may be problems if I do requiring me to redirect menu shortcuts etc. but will this action create massive instability/inoperability?
    Alternatively I am tempted to just repartition the disks to give more space, but I really thought the /usr partition would be (when I installed) the default place for all my personal stuff.

Linux Enthusiast
    Ouch! Sounds like you have some serious errors in your X environment.
    Anyhow, you should pretty safely be able to delete this file,
    since it is your local logfile from your x-session

tjb
    Just Joined!
    Just to add to the previous comment, it may be a good idea to actually look at what is causing the errors before deleting the .xsession-errors file. Otherwise it will just be created again upon rebooting and will increase to large sizes again unless the error is fixed.

I managed to get the file size over 2GB which I thought was impressive!

Code:
    tail .xsession-errors
    will show last error.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    In the cupboard under the stairs probably. nr Aylesbury
    WOW that was impressive!
    I know what was causing the errors, it was trying to configure the nvidia drivers and stuff.