Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everyone I am having problems with my Mandrake 10. While booting, it gets to "checking file system" and fails. Then, it asks if I want to repair the problem. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

error at boot !!! urgent !!!

Hi everyone

I am having problems with my Mandrake 10. While booting, it gets to "checking file system" and fails. Then, it asks if I want to repair the problem. I hit Y, and it runs a few lines and then stops again with the prompt " press Control-D for normal startup or enter root passwd to repair the system". On CTRL-D the computer restarts and the above repeats itself. When I log on as root, this prompt appears:

(Repair system) 1 #

Does somebody know what is going on?
    Thanks

Just Joined!
    From the recovery prompt, try:

fsck -A

If it performs the same as it does during boot-up, try fscking each partition seperately and try to ascertain which one causes the problem.

~Pax

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by paxnoctis
    From the recovery prompt, try:

fsck -A

If it performs the same as it does during boot-up, try fscking each partition seperately and try to ascertain which one causes the problem.

~Pax
    Thanks a lot. I think that worked It is starting up now

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    To avoid getting that message, be sure and shut down your system properly. It usually happens when the system is powered off without a proper shutdown. (but you probably knew that...)
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better