Find the answer to your Linux question:
ok i tried changing the file in proc ,i think it was called throttling, so that it would have an "active" cpu speed lower than the maximum.....they had them in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

cpu frequency control

ok i tried changing the file in proc ,i think it was called throttling, so that it would have an "active" cpu speed lower than the maximum.....they had them in percenrages.... i couldnt change it.....even though i had logged myself on as root in the console......and in the console it said i didnt have permission to access that file......hey as a root cant i do everything i want to.....
    i then tried the program cpufreq and even thouigh i throttled the cpu its frequency remains at maximum...maybe i have a misunderstanding of what throttling means.....
    how can i lower my cpu speed so that i do not need the fan sound of a nuclear power plant going just to read some web pages.......

oh by the way im on a laptop with a p4 3.2ghz and mandrake 10

by the way i havent managed to do this in xp either but when i turn off the ac and it loads up by battery the cpu speed is 2ghz.....nice and quiet ....and i only really need that xtra speed while doing movie encoding photo editing etc

you could try a program called speedfreq

it has an easy to edit config file which lets you set up a powersave plan.

This config file (at least with gentoo) is in : /etc/conf.d/speedfreq

the file is edited and tells you what the options are.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Have you tried installing all of the acpi tools from the installation disks and enabling acpi in the lilo configurator? You should then have a nice native control for cpu throttling in the system tray, and you can have preset performance profiles in place, not to mention ad-hoc CPU throttling. On the other hand I would restore the throttling script you modified to the was it was before.

If you use the acpi tools you need to run a setup application from within this , or at least give execute rights to all on the acpi scripts. It talks you through it. This application is referred to as KLaptop in Mdk 10.1 but I think it was just called acpi something in Mdk10