Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am considering updating lo Mandrake 10.1 largely because I have a friend who is stuck with windows as he hasn't had his broadband connection working for 6 months and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Updating to 10.1

I am considering updating lo Mandrake 10.1

largely because I have a friend who is stuck with windows as he hasn't had his broadband connection working for 6 months and nonone can help him (and that's Windows)

I want to install Mandrake 10.1 for him. I am expecting problems with his modem (speedtouch) but I have found some info on that. The question is:

I fi update my computer(not my friends) to 10.1 will I also have to reconfigure my modem etc or will it take the settings from Mandrake10.0

I'm new to broadband, but think that there's no real problem upgrading to 10.1 with recognition of hardware. I'm told that modems aren't much of an issue under Linux as long as your network card is supported/recognised.

Partly depends on how you connect though. I wouldn't use a usb modem: not well supported and a lot of CPU overhead. Cable is the best way to go. I've been reading up on this recently, so my knowledge is yet to be tested!
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!
    No there is no real problem with modems, but last time I installed Linux, I did it while I still had an internet connection and I had to use the internet quite a lot to sort it out.

what I was wondering is:m Will the upgrade process to 10.1 recognise my modem settings the way they are or will I have to repeat the process all over again.

Another problem I have is that I am going to install mandrake 10.1 on my friends computer. He has got windows XP and has been unable to access the internet for the best part of a year. I don't think its his modem as they were sent another one by their ISP. So I am going to have to orgasnise that and he won't be impressed if I can't get his modem going. I want him to be impressed with Linux

Your upgrade should keep your settings intact, especially if you're upgrading from a recent version since not all that much has changed (one of the few good reasons to upgrade instead of doing a clean install).

Your friend's case could be a bit more hairy, but I think you'd be able to get it to work...by the way, when you say modem do you mean cable modem or regular modem? You mentioned broadband...

In either case, knowing the model and whether it's USB, etc. would be a big help (if it's a cable modem, most of the USB models also have the option to use a regular network cable, which makes things go much smoother).
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Linux Enthusiast
    When you do an upgrade, Mandrake will keep your settings.
    However, if you have an USB-modem, things "could" change, but I do certenly think it would work just great for you.