Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi all, Those who have read my last postings will know I had a disaster with 10.1 official and can't re-install as the DVD Rom is damaged. Also, the magazine ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Temporary downgrade to Mandrake 10.0

Hi all,

Those who have read my last postings will know I had a disaster with 10.1 official and can't re-install as the DVD Rom is damaged. Also, the magazine I got the disk from are sold out of it but they've offered me 10.0 instead and tell me 10.2 should available in a few months. What I need to know is, how much difference is there between 10.0 & 10.1? Bear in mind I'm still a newbie, so some of the higher functions wouldn't be used. What I'm insteresed in is the sound drives ie; will is set up the sound automatically, and is the LiLo any different as I'll want to add my other distros to it. Later on I can upgrade to 10.2

Thanks,

Martin
    Dublin, Ireland
    LINUX: Where do you want to go.......Tomorrow!

Registered Linux user 396633

10.0 and 10.1 aren't all that different...pretty much just different versions of packages, older KDE. Just make sure to grab Official instead of Community. It should set pretty much everything up automagically (with the caveat that the hardware is supported) and the lilo config is pretty standard.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Hi Flatline,

I can't tell if it's community or official but as it's only temporary until I can upgrade again to 10.2, and it works, I'm happy. But why is community a no-no?

Martin,

Dublin, Ireland

Community is kind of like a final alpha release, with Official being...well, the official release. After the whole beta process and the feature freeze, Mandrake releases Community to the community as kind of an "in the wild" large-scale beta release, and Official is like a bug-fix release following Community.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Hi again,

I've found out that it's a Community release of 10.0, that's all that I can get for the moment. Am I likely to have any issues with installing it/using it?

Martin,

Dublin, Ireland

Not particularly, but you're more likely to have issues with Community than with Official.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Hi again

What about if I use the option in the MCC to download bugfixes after I've installed it? Would that not make it more stable?

Martin,

Dublin, Ireland

Sure. There's no reason to be "scared" of using Community. I just meant that since Official is more mature it would have fewer bugs. Most people who run Community have very few problems.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Hi again Flatline,

One last question....When 10.2 comes out in a few months time, do I let it upgrade the exisitng install (10.0) or do a clean installation? Last time I tried that to upgrade 8.1 to 10.1 it went horribly wrong and I had to format the partition and do a clean install.

Martin,

Dublin, Ireland

I usually do clean installs, but an upgrade should be fine. Most problems with upgrades in the Mandrake line come about when someone upgrades across several versions (like you did). Also, the upgrade you did would have switched you from the 2.4.x kernel to the 2.6.x kernel, and a lot of people ran into problems when that happened.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast