Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a fresh installataion of Mandrake 10.1 on a laptop. I am now trying to install gaim. I go to the Mandrake Control Center, and select media manager. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

help wih installing packages

I have a fresh installataion of Mandrake 10.1 on a laptop. I am now trying to install gaim. I go to the Mandrake Control Center, and select media manager. I uncheck all the cds, because I do not have them with me, and select update source, which is one of the mirror sites. I then go to install and select gaim. When I try to select it though, I get a pop up that says:
    "Sorry, the following package(s) can't be selected: gaim-1.1.4-2.1.101mdk.i586 (due to unsatisfied libplds4.so)"

What am I doing wrong??

Linux Engineer
    Use urpmi as root:
    Code:
    urpmi gaim

Since you deselected all the cd's, urpmi doesn't know where to go to get the packages it needs. Go to this site: http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/

They'll walk you through adding the "main" media as downloadable media...matter of fact, go ahead and configure the "contrib" source as well. That will give you access to things like dvd encoding and codecs for media players.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    pardon my ignorance, but what is urmpi and what does it do??

urpmi is a package manager that resolves package dependencies for you (among other things) so that you don't run into "dependency hell". If package A can't be installed until package B is installed, which depends on package C, urpmi works out how to get it done and takes care of it for you.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson