Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I have dl'd bluefish 1.0 first just the tar and spent hours trying to fulfil all the gpk and libgpk etc etc dependencies, then I got the rpm and have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!
    In the cupboard under the stairs probably. nr Aylesbury

Installing bluefish problem

I have dl'd bluefish 1.0 first just the tar and spent hours trying to fulfil all the gpk and libgpk etc etc dependencies, then I got the rpm and have run that both in Konqueror and in the shell with urpmi .
    Both times it tells this:
    Code:
    Some package requested cannot be installed:
    bluefish-1.0-1.i386 (due to unsatisfied pcre[>= 3.9])
    I have downloaded configured and installed both pcre 3.9 and when it still wouldn't install bluefish pcre 5.0
    I have tried it again using both Konqueror and the shell as root.
    No luck...

Linux Guru
    Bluefish should be available via URPMI. When you use URPMI, you don't have to d/l any rpms, it does it automatically for you.

go here and setup your sources, then type in

Code:
    urpmi bluefish
    And it should go to town.

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!
    Yup it went to town, got drunk, fell over and was hit by a bus.
    I was trying to find a file on urpmi last night using every mirror in the list sequentially,
    finally at 4 am I kinda gave up what with the concussion. I shall jhave another go. thanks for replying.
    I think maybe my problem may be (apart from being so inexperienced) where I actually unpack and run some of the binaries that I have tried to build the installations with.
    In fact , this is a very good point.
    Does it matter where I unpack and run the files that I am not able to use an rpm or urpmi for?
    I have been d'l'ing the tar files and unpacking them by default to my home folder.
    For instance the error I was recieving even using the RPM I got for bluefish was an insufficient pcre version, I understand this is a library of perl components and I updated my perl installation to the latest version, including the binaries of pcre 5.0
    However I still am getting the same message.
    This is leading me to suspect I should be performing the unpacking to a system folder (or suchlike), especially as most of the executable I have found in the distro are in /usr/bin/.
    Am I making any sense at all I wonder........?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Typically, untar things in the /opt directory, but it doesn't matter where you untar them and make them. After you run make install, you can even delete the entire dir where you untared it. Location also shouldn't matter, as your path is absolute, not relative. Meaning you use /home/user/dir rather then ~../../home/user/dir, if you know what I mean.

Jeremy

Just Joined!
    I am still not getting any further with trying to get bluefish installed on my system.
    I have beenin touch with the developers and apparently if I installed pcre from tarball (as I did with pcre 5) then the rpm will not be able to see it is installed.
    Hmm this doesn't seem encouraging, the implications seem obvious there.
    Anyway I was told to check for all pcre packages installed and got this :
    Code:
    [root@Flobbalob billybeag]# rpm -qa | grep -i pcre
    libpcre0-4.5-5mdk
    php5-pcre-5.0.2-1mdk
    So I tried the bluefish rpm again.
    Code:
    [root@Flobbalob billybeag]# urpmi bluefish-1.0-1.fc3.i386.rpm
    Some package requested cannot be installed:
    bluefish-1.0-1.i386 (due to unsatisfied pcre[>= 3.9])
    Continue? (Y/n)
    I just thought I would keep this up to date as I haven't got much further yet.
    Could be useful to someone.......

Linux Guru
    okay.... First of all, you're trying to install a Fedora rpm on MDK. That could be your problem. Second, urpmi should be used to install packages from the internet, not one's you've downloaded. When you use urpmi, it searches an on-line repository to find the package you've instructed it to, d/l's it and all dependencies, and then installs them. Try this command:

Code:
    urpmi bluefish
    Jeremy

Just Joined!
    thanks jeremy.
    unfortunately there is no rpm of bluefish1 for mandrake.
    trying to install it from tarball gives me other dependencies to find. libgtk2.0-dev.
    There is no rpm listed of that with urpmi. I am looking for a tarball of that now.

you are right about my problem with trying the fedora core rpm, mandrake calls the pcre package libpcre which is why it doesn't recognise it.

Linux Guru
    I understand now... You're trying to install an updated version of bluefish.

Shoot the developers an e-mail and ask them to make a MDK rpm.

Otherwise, install each package using urpmi that the tarball gives you an error about. For example,

Code:
    urpmi gtk2.0-devel
    Jeremy

Just Joined!
    I had to reformat and install the gnome environment as well as kde.
    All to no avail. MDK 10.1 doesn't include all the dependencies this software needs.
    Consequently as of now, I have given up
    there are so many dependencies needed for bluefish1.0 for instance the gtk2-dev needs:
    libgtk 2.6 which needs:
    pango1.8 which states:
    Code:
    No package 'fontconfig' found
    configure: WARNING: No fontconfig found, skipping tests for FreeType and Xft
    configure: error: *** Didn't find any of FreeType, X11, or Win32.
    *** Must have at least one backend to build Pango.
    That it is beyond my newbie capabilities to carry on any further.
    Not only that, but I needed a good all encompassing wysiwyg webdev tool that I can use with a running apache/php5/mysql server locally, this means I have to go back to dreamweaver and consider the outrageous expense of upgrading it to MX.
    Obviously this will mean going back to the xp pro os to use it and there seems little point in keeping linux if I have to do all my webdev on xp.
    Disappointed, is a bit of an understatement. I reckon I have just spent the last 2 weeks getting the distro, server and dynamic dns working for little other than a bit of experience.
    I really liked all the things I found I was able to do using linux too.

Linux Guru
    I think Quanta is really good WYSIWYG html/php editor. Have you checked it out?

Jeremy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast