Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm so sure that this is going to be greeted by some stupid answer I should have thought of, but, when I try to move/extract a file into any other ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Ok... Some help would be nice. Access denied??? wtf

I'm so sure that this is going to be greeted by some stupid answer I should have thought of, but, when I try to move/extract a file into any other folder than my home dir it says acess denied... I am the only user/administrator on my computer and am confused.

An example would be that I am trying to add some plugins into Firefox's plugins folder, so flash will work, and i get "Access is denied to __Folder__"

anything I can turn off to maybe solve this

This is on Mandrake 10.2

Are you trying to move files as root or regular user? For instance, If you're trying to copy the mozilla plugins from your RealPlayer folder, which I think installs to /usr/lib, to your ~/.mozilla/firefox/plugins directory, and you try to do it as regular user, it's not gonna let you do it.
    Do you have any trouble moving files from place to place just within your home directory?
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!

similar issue

I am also unable to install plugins or to browse outside of my user's home directory. I know that you need to be logged in as root to do this.

For some reason, when I try to log in as root in command line mode, it claims I'm using the wrong root password. I even changed the root password in x with console and the "su" command, but it still won't let me log in as root. Is it even possible to log in as root? I am able to use the root password to screw with system clock settings and otherthings that only require the root password (but don't require you to be logged in as root), so I know I'm using the right pass.

Any suggestions?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    If, when yoy try to log in as root, it is telling you "wrong password" and not letting you log in, that is likely what is happening. It has happened to me that I was certain of my new root password, only to find out I was putting it in wrong. Is this your first time using Linux? If so, is it possible the caps lock was on or off when you put in the password? Linux is case sensitive, and all password letters must be entered in the same cases they were entered in originally.

Just Joined!

hmm...

that's interesting Dapper,

I have a logitech wireless keyboard, and one of the wierd things about it is that it has no Caps, Num, or Scroll lock lights on it. I'll try it when I get home.

Yes, this is my first time ever using linux, I'm using Mandrake 10.1 because I heard it was good for rookies. I'll try screwning around some more with the caps settings when trying to log in, but I'm not so sure it will work. Like I said, I was able to use the root pass in other areas, and I had intentionally capitalized the third letter of my root pass when I created it. Also, since I registered my primary user account at the same time I set the root pass, the same would have to be true of that password, right? It's not...

Is there some wierd setting that might cause me to be unable to log into root? I did set security to "PARANOID" when I installed. Because, well, I AM paranoid....

Is there some wierd setting that might cause me to be unable to log into root? I did set security to "PARANOID" when I installed. Because, well, I AM paranoid....
    I've seen lowering the security setting fix some weird things in my day, so it's a distinct possibility.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Voila! Flatline is absolutely right! That paranoid setting is likely the problem! Lower it to normal and you should be ok...