Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, Im a complete Noob when it comes to Linux but am getting relay tired of the endless problems that windows causes (and the fact that you can only install ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can Mandrake read NTFS

Hi, Im a complete Noob when it comes to Linux but am getting relay tired of the endless problems that windows causes (and the fact that you can only install that POS software XP a limited number of times, and you damn near have to re-install it every 6 months or so... well back on topic) and have downloaded Mandrake 10.1 Now i Only have 1 HDD which is currently partitioned 20 /140 (10 for windows and apps, 150 for other stuff)

im going to be re-installing windows and then installing mandrake I was thinking of partitioning the drive 20/20/120 Windows/ Mandrake Misc Storage (photos, movies MP3s) Now I would like the storage partition to be readable by both operating systems, so, will Mandrake read NTFS? And will there be any other problems with this setup?

thanks

-spakman

Yes, Mandrake will read ntfs as long as a line similar to this is in the /etc/fstab file: /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows ntfs umask=0,user,noauto,ro,exec,users 0 0

However, you will not be able to write to this partition from linux. To be able to read and write, format the large parttion as FAT.

Note, this is a common topic, check the forums more thoroughly before posting.