Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there. I have a question about purchasing a new external hard drive for backups. The hard drive i have right now on my system has been up and running ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

External back up hard drive

Hi there. I have a question about purchasing a new external hard drive for backups.

The hard drive i have right now on my system has been up and running for at least 3 years now. Now, as you all know, it's not a matter of if but a matter of when a hard drive will fail, so, i am now thinking that's it's been too good to be true. Here is where i started thinking about getting a new external hard drive for backups. But, i have a couple of things in mind: 1. which is a good hard drive to set up in mandrake? , 2. i want to set it up so it can be used by another PC running windows XP over a Samba configured network. So basically i want to have an external drive, which is going to be used for backup and have it shared with a XP box over a network so we can backup our info there.

Any suggestions or know issues about this?

Linux Newbie
    What about buying a normal 3.5" internal IDE hard drive, say 120gb wont be too expensive, and then get one of those caddy's for it, so it can be used externally. Not sure on the linux-compatibility, never used one - can anyone else reccomend this???

Only i was thinking then, should the worst happen, u could simply shove it into the effected pc and maybe boot from it if u wanted, or have it as a secondary drive and then u could copy all ur data at a reasonable speed. But when used as a backup, it would still be portable, and fast and i hear they are reliable.

Also, external drives are expensive and probably more likely to fail than a normal drive.

That seems to be good reasoning, the speed and the prompt to failure. I probably look for an internal drive, just have to check if i got some IDE slots available. And also check if my mother board supports SATA.

But i don't know, soon i'll get a laptop, toshiba or something, so i'll just create a network and pass around files and stuff.

Any other thoughts would be more than welcome, specially known issues about hard drives under linux os.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close