Find the answer to your Linux question:
I intend to install Mandrake 10.1 on a second (and slave) hd in a machine currently running only XP. My only experience with installing Linux is as the sole OS, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Dual boot tutorial clarification

I intend to install Mandrake 10.1 on a second (and slave) hd in a machine currently running only XP. My only experience with installing Linux is as the sole OS, and I have never dual booted any combination of OSs.

The dual boot tutorial emphasized creating a boot disk -- will I be prompted about creating a boot disk during installation?

With a functional boot disk, I should be able to get back into Linux in order to copy the Linux boot sector from hdb1 to C:\ (hda1)? So if the Linux boot data is larger, I'm only concerned about the first sector (512 bytes)?

The boot.ini modification makes sense -- but why does the Windows boot loader need a copy of Linux's boot sector for itself, when it was only a few centimeters away? Loosing Windows just prior to midterms would be rough, so any help or direction to a n00bier explanation of the booting process will be appreciated.

Just Joined!
    I can recomend you to start mandrake installation from windows it will prompyou the creation of the boot floppy and it will give you some clues about how to reboot and start the installation

Just Joined!
    Ok, that sounds safe to me.