Find the answer to your Linux question:
I was just wondering if anyone knew why it's important to recompile your harddrive...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

why is it important to recompile your kernel

I was just wondering if anyone knew why it's important to recompile your harddrive

Re: why is it important to recompile your kernel

Quote Originally Posted by astro_9040
    I was just wondering if anyone knew why it's important to recompile your harddrive
    Please, don't compile your hdd

Well, by recompiling your kernel, you are basically making a tailor made OS for yourself. Yu can choose to add or discard such stuff as multi processor support or Bluetooth or many other stuff. check out this site for a comprehensive guide on howto recompile your kernel http://www.digitalhermit.com/linux/K...ild-HOWTO.html

Hope this helps.

Alex

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    mcm
    Just Joined!
    I have some points:

1) It's a very important thing to know, specially if you work, or want to work with Linux.

2) To make it faster;

3) To make it safer.

Regards!

To add to the above, I'd say IMO it's not all that important for a newbie or someone who isn't interested in learning the inner workings of Linux. The only time I personally recompile my kernel is when there's a new release (for instance 2.6 from 2.4) or there's some security patch that gets released. Technically, recompiling is supposed to give you a performance boost, but for what I do it's never made a noticeable difference.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    sorry I didnt reply sooner im now having internet problems the site was very informative but I had trouble with it everything went fine configuring, installing, but when i get to the part where lilo's supposed to recognize it it doesnt its like it was never installed. Have any ideas?