Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi all, I am trying to re-install Madrake but am running into a lot of difficulties, I really could use some help. The story so far is, I had to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Mdk re-install,missing icons/bad sound

Hi all,

I am trying to re-install Madrake but am running into a lot of difficulties, I really could use some help.

The story so far is, I had to do a clean re-install of Mandrake 10.1 as it got messed up after an experiment in adding another distro went horribly wrong. When tried to intall 10.1 back into it's original partition, the system was missing pieces, ie; Konqueror wouldn't load, no icons for CD Roms, no sound etc..

I came to the conculsion that the DVD Rom must be damaged as I could install SuSE or Fedora OK into either of the two partitions I was using but not Mandrake, so I ordered another DVD Rom from the Linux Magazine. They were sold out of 10.1, so they offered me 10.0 Community instead.

I've now tried twice to install this into differeent partitons and even created one specially for Mandrake in case there were bad sectors on one of the old partitons but what I now get is a working Mandrake with no CD Rom icons and terrible noise. The system, when it loads, gives a 'drum-drum-drum' sound and when an application is opened that makes a sound, I get a high-pitched noise like what you would hear from a microphone when it's too near a speaker.

I noticed when I was formatting the partiton, it defaulted to EXT3 but I changed that to EXT2 as that's what I've always used for Mandrake, could that have something to do with it?

Can anyone help, I need to sort the noise, get the CD Rom icons on the desktop and finally, as I still have SuSE on another partiton, need to mount it so as it appears in MCC as /mnt/SuSE. I can organise the bootloader from there.

By the way, must thank all those who've helped me so far, especially Ugo, Dylunio and Flatline, thanks guys.

Martin,

Dublin, Ireland
    LINUX: Where do you want to go.......Tomorrow!

Registered Linux user 396633

I have a theory about your sound problem. Try this:

Open a console
    Type 'alsamixer' without the quotes
    Find the channel called PCM
    Turn that channel right down to the bottom

Press Esc. to get out of alsamixer. That might work. If it gets rid of the feedback noise please let me know, 'cos I have an interest in that.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

As for the CDrom icons, let's check the simplest thing first...in the KDE control center, in the Desktop section's Behavior module, there's a Device Icon tab. Is the Show Device Icons box checked?
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Hi Guys,

I'm in work right now, will you be around at about 8:00 pm GMT? I'll be at home and at my own machine at that time.

Martin,

Dublin. Ireland

Not me, but I bet Flatline is! Not that I can speak for someone else
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Okay guys,

I don't have a channel marked PCM, what I have is this;

???????????????????[AlsaMixer v1.00 (Press Escape to quit)]????????????????????
    ? Card: Sound Blaster Live! ?
    ? Chip: TriTech id 3 ?
    ? Item: Master ?
    ? ?
    ? ?
    ? ???? ???? ???? ???? ???? ???? ???? ???? ?
    ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
    ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
    ? ?##? ? ? ?##? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
    ? ?##? ? ? ?##? ? ? ? ? ?##? ?##? ? ? ?
    ? ???? ???? ???? ???? ???? ???? ???? ???? ?
    ? 79<>79 80<>80 50<>50 50<>50 ?
    ? < Master >Headphon Headphon Headphon Tone Bass Treble 3D Contr ?
    ? ?

And when I went to the behaviour section in KDE, the Show Device Icons box is checked. The CD Roms do seem to be mounted, when I try to add a new device icon on the desktop, they're listed but when I create an icon and try to use it, I get the message;

"Could not mount device.
    The reported error was:
    mount: No medium found"

and that happens with both CD Rom drives (one's a DVD Rom) but when I put a music CD into the lower drive, it starts playing, tha tis without me clicking on anything (but with no sound, i know what's wrong there KdCD is looking on the wrong drive - I can fix that)

Martin,

Dublin, Ireland

Have you scrolled all the way to the right in alsamixer? There should be more options than can fit on one screen for a SoundBlaster.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Hi Flatline!

GREAT NEWS! I restored 10.1 Official! I put the damaged DVD Rom in and told it to 'upgrade' 10.0 Community and.....BINGO! Everything is back on, although I had to set up the internet manually, but that's no big deal. I am over the moon!!!

Now.. how to I mount SuSE, which is on hda6 so that when I view my partitions is shows as /mnt/SuSE ? Dylunio told me once before but I've forgotten......

Thanks again.

Martin,

Dublin, Ireland

In Mandrake, by far the easiest way to do that would be by using the Mandrake Control Center (Configure Your Computer). There is a nice graphical partitioner in MCC that will do everything for you, including the fstab editing.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Hi Fingal,

Feedback noise is caused by the setting ' AC 97' in KMiix being set too high. Turn it down or off and the problem goes away.

Martin,

Dublin, Ireland

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast