Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi again everyone, I now have Mandrake 10.1 re-installed having installed 10.0 Community and let 10.1 official install over it as an upgrade. But now when I choose the Windows ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

MDK 10.1 reinstall complete but Windows NTLDR is missing....

Hi again everyone,

I now have Mandrake 10.1 re-installed having installed 10.0 Community and let 10.1 official install over it as an upgrade. But now when I choose the Windows option on LiLo, I get a mesaage saying 'NTLDR is missing'. I have 2 installs of Windows on this machine, 98SE and XP Pro and I still need to access them, I'm not ready for a full change over to Linux just yet, being still a newbie.

I spoke to Dylunio in the IRC and he gave me a link for someone with the same problem but that person was using Grub, I've got LiLo and I didn't fully understand what the solution was. Can anyone point me in the right direction or give me instructions? I could take the drastic route of re-installing both Windows systems and then restoring the LiLo bootloader but that would be a last resort as it would be very time-consuming.

Thanks everyone

Martin,

Dublin, Ireland
    LINUX: Where do you want to go.......Tomorrow!

Registered Linux user 396633

If you are needing greatly to get into Windows, make a LiLo boot disk so you can boot linux, and then put in your Windows install disk and go into the recovary console with the r key, and then
    Code:
    fixmbr
    If you don't have an install cd you can use a windows boot disk and use tha command
    Code:
    fdisk /mbr
    I hope this helps a bit
    dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Hi Dylunio,

Pardon my ignorance, but how do I create a LiLio boot disk and if this is successful, can I restore the LiLo bootloader form the Mandrake DVD Rom afterward?

Also, do you remember when I was experimenting with Knoppix? You got me to mount my Knopppix partiton in such a way that when I viewed the partitons it appeared as /mnt/knoppix. I now have SuSe on another partiton and can't remember how to mount it that way, can you tell me again as once this is resolved I want to add SuSE to the Mandrake LiLo bootloader and I have another empty partition ear-marked for Fedora.

Thanks

Martin

Dublin, Ireland

Also, there's an option on the Mandrake DVD Rom to restore the Windows bootloader, would that do the job for me?

In Mandrake, the easiest way to mount partitions is through the Mandrake Control Center's partitioning tool. It does all the fstab work for you.

The Mandrake disk's Windows bootloader restore utility would work for you, but if you want to get back into Mandrake you'll have to make a lilo bootdisk first. I'm pretty sure there's an option for making a bootdisk in the Mandrake Control Center as well, but I don't have a Mandrake machine in front of me at the moment.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Ok, I couldn't find how to make a linux boot disk, so I tried restoring the Windows bootloader from the Mandrake DVD, that left me with an unbootable system (I'm working off my laptop now). I then tried to fix the MBR from both a Windows floppy and then the XP CD rom, no joy. Now I'm re-intsalling each Windows OS as I'm pretty sure that will set both 98 & XP back up for me but what I need to know is how do I get LiLo back the way it used to be? Do I just go to the rescuse mode on the DVD and restore the bootloader from there or will that overwrite the Windows system again or would I do an 'upgrade' of Mandrake ie; let it update itself?

How this all happened may have been due to the fact that I had 2 copies of 10.0 Community installed in separate partitions in case the upgrade back to 10.1 went horribly wrong. I've now removed that extra install and hopefully that will stop that from happening again.

What do you think?

Martin,

Dublin, Ireland (on the eve of St.Patrick's Day!)

Hi again,

Ok, I couldn't re-install both Windows O.S., kept being brought back to the same error message. But I found I could reinstall either 98 or XP onto the primary drive then use the Mandrake DVD to restore LiLo, giving me a Windows/Mandrake Linux dual boot. I chose XP/Mandrake for now and will try and figure the other out another day.

I still have SuSE on another partitoon (hda6) and can't find in MCC how to mount it and mount it as SuSE rather than just hda6. I can configure LiLo from the root console, I remember how to do that but the mounting issue I can't remember.

Martin,

Dublin, Ireland

(Happy St. Patrick's Day!)

I'm in the process of re-formatting my fat32 drives and will post if all is sucessful afterward. I'll post the mounting issue in a new thread later

Martin,

Dublin, Ireland

I would have tried a fixboot on the recovery console. Windows keeps a copy of the mbr, and this you can copy it back. The only thing i don't know is if Lilo would have any problems detecting the linux OS afterwards.

Hi Sheds,

I needed a solution that would bring all 3 O.S. back online, this was the only guaranteed one. I formatted my 'C' drive (primary) and re-installed 98, formatted 'D' and re-installed XP, this restored the dual bootloader, then used the Mandrake DVD Rom to restore LiLo and now I have all 3 O.S back but have to restore all my Windows files from back-ups.

Do you know how to mount distros that appear in other partitions? I have SuSe 9.2 and Fedora in hda6 & hda8, I need to mount them as 'SuSE' and 'Fedora' instead of hda6 & hda8 'cause then I can configure LiLo to boot them for me.

Thanks,

Martin,
    Dublin, Ireland

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast