Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just recently installed linux 10.1 community on my computer. I thought it had a graphical user interface (GUI) because when i start up it goes to a dos looking ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

New to mandrake

I just recently installed linux 10.1 community on my computer. I thought it had a graphical user interface (GUI) because when i start up it goes to a dos looking screen and i type in my user name and password and continues looking like msdos. Did i install incorrectly? or am I a serious noob?

Compaq presario 5150 AMD k6(3d) processor

-Sean

Just Joined!
    What happens when you type startx after logging in?

Just Joined!
    I've never tried that but i just did and it went like this:

[Sean@localhost Sean}$ start x
    execve faild for /etc/x11/x (errno 2)
    xini: Server error

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I had a similar problem; after changing the default monitor settings, I was able to get a GUI (with startx).

Try configuring X as root using the specs of your hardware:
    Code:
    su
    enter root password, then
    Code:
    xf86cfg

Just Joined!
    I tried that and it went to a screen with a moniter, card, cpu, mouse, and keyboard. If i clicked on the blue part of the screen i could access the programs and the internet but i couldn't figure out how to apply the settings i changed. I thought i did but when i restarted and typed startx it didn't work.

Just Joined!
    hi ppl,

i'm downloading Mandrake 10.1 from mandrake website which is a free distribution labeled as 'OFFICIAL', but i've also heard of 'COMMUNITY' distribution. can anybody tell me the difference between the two.

are the mplayer/xine packages available in 'OFFICIAL' distro.

that's all

Linux Guru
    Community is the pre-release of the next major version that will be official, ie... It's the cutting edge.

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!
    Sean,
    Settings are "applied" if the configuration file (in /etc/X11/) retains the changes you made in this configuration environment. To end the configuration session, you should have clicked the "quit" button and confirmed writing the settings to two files.

With
    Code:
    less /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    you should be able to tell if your settings were saved (typing 'q' quits less).

Double check the specs you have, and try manually entering the monitor's frequency ranges (horizontal sync and vertical refresh rate) exactly as it is rated. Click "quit" then log in as a regular user (e.g. Sean) without restarting and try startx (no space between 't' and 'x').

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy1701
    Community is the pre-release of the next major version that will be official, ie... It's the cutting edge.

Jeremy
    Thanx for the info jeremy1701!!

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by seanlambert
    I've never tried that but i just did and it went like this:

[Sean@localhost Sean}$ start x
    execve faild for /etc/x11/x (errno 2)
    xini: Server error
    Hi, it should not be a "space" between "start" and "x", it is one-word-command as
    Code:
    startx
    However, as stated before, the community version is quite "buggy", since it is the "RCx" version of Mandrake release, it is not a Beta nor a Alpha, it is a Release Candidate, where the "community" has a chanse to say it's word which packages should be incorporated when they release it.