Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have Mandrake 10.1 installed on 2 PCs joined by an ethernet cable (crossed). I can connect to the internet by modem, but as soon as I enable Internet Connection ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Internet Connection Sharing Problem

I have Mandrake 10.1 installed on 2 PCs joined by an ethernet cable (crossed). I can connect to the internet by modem, but as soon as I enable Internet Connection Sharing, I can connect, but I can not upload or download one byte of information. I'm new to Linux. Can anyone give me any suggestion for how I might fix this? I would hate to go back to MS ware because I can't get this to work....

Linux Guru
    I'm thinking that it's b/c the default ICS wizard port forwards everything through Squid and closes all other ports. That can be a bit robust for the needs of two computers. Try installing FireStarter and using it for ICS rather then MCC.

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!

Firestarter

Actually, I have Firestarter installed already, though I turned it off. I don't know how to use it to do ICS, but I'll try.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy1701
    I'm thinking that it's b/c the default ICS wizard port forwards everything through Squid and closes all other ports. That can be a bit robust for the needs of two computers. Try installing FireStarter and using it for ICS rather then MCC.

Jeremy

Linux Guru
    IMO, Firestarter is even easier to use then ICS in MCC. Just follow the wizard. Another nice feature of FS is that you can see how many attempts, from what IP and on what port there have been to access your computer.

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!

Re: Internet Connection Sharing Problem

Quote Originally Posted by nfn20050
    I have Mandrake 10.1 installed on 2 PCs joined by an ethernet cable (crossed). I can connect to the internet by modem, but as soon as I enable Internet Connection Sharing, I can connect, but I can not upload or download one byte of information. I'm new to Linux. Can anyone give me any suggestion for how I might fix this? I would hate to go back to MS ware because I can't get this to work....
    Check your iptables rules. su to root and type: iptables-save. If you see some lines of text, save them to file and do some modifications. First, create a separate text file with no rules included and try it by typing: iptables-restore {yourfilename}. If this allow you to browse the web, rebuild your firewall step by step by adding your own security rules (i.e. against multicasts, unrequested pings and more...).

99%