Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've installed mandrake about 10 times now and i get the same problem everytime. When i boot the boot sequence just stops. I then try to so an interactive boot ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

bootup problems

I've installed mandrake about 10 times now and i get the same problem everytime. When i boot the boot sequence just stops. I then try to so an interactive boot up and it appears to be something wrong with the network (although I wouldn't guarentee this). But I was fiddling around a bit and found this error message in the console.

/sbin/splash.sh: line 25 4671 segmentation fault /sbin/splash
    -s -u 0 /etc/bootsplash/themes/$themes/$theme/$home/config/bootsplash -$res.cfg
    <6>bootsplash: status on consol changed to on.

Not sure if the last line is related. But if someone could possible give me some hints as to what this problem may be.

Im using Windows XP dual boot and using (or trying to) Mandrake 10.1 (DVD download).

Comp specs include Athlon XP 2800+, 256 DDR400 ram, 160 GB Seagate baracuda 8 MB cache, ABIT NF7-S2G nForce2 AMD DDR400. and a gforce2 MX 32MB graphics.

Thanks for your help

WHOA!!!!!
    stop reinstalling... just fix what you have but then you have figured that out now...

the bootsplash error is just related to the pretty pictuure on boot or lack there of

where exactly is it hanging

but first i would run the memchk (memory check) from the install cd... beet the cd and run memchck or memcheck (even if your ram is good in windowsn i can still be bad)
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

Just Joined!

bootup

Hi, when i start the computer and go into linux it give the option of doing a interactive startup which i assume u know about. If i go into the interactive startup the problems happens when i start the network. What i thought of just recently was maybe not installing the network card in the install. Also, I have 2 network cards. One is onboard and is a gigabit card (maybe mandrake can't handle it?) although it picked it up during install. The other is just an old 100Mbit card. Coud the fact that i have 2 be causing the problem?

In regards to the boot splash problem i think it may be the resolution but the installation doesn't give me any options for the resolutions of the graphics (or I missed them) is there some way I can change the resolution from the command prompt thing.

Will try the memcheck thing also

Thanks

Paul

Linux Guru
    The bootsplash problem is probably b/c you haven't installed the nVidia drivers yet. (Or have you?) Next time, start the Linux_NoFB option, or whatever the option is that says fb as that's no framebuffer. Or, install the drivers and then you can use bootsplash.

The network problem is b/c you haven't set it up, but it's set to start it at boot. Go into MCC, select the network card and de-select the option to start at boot time.

Let us know if that works.
    Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!

Help in making Mandrake 10.1 to work on Travelmate 4001 LMi

Hi!

I have a Travelmate 4001 LMi Acer notebook. I tried installing Mandrake 10.1 on my notebook. It loaded well. It recognized my graphical card and sucessfully loaded. When I rebooted the pc, the lilo bootloader came and I selected linux. After this, the screen went black and nothing happened after this.

Can anybody tell me why it happens and give me a solution to make linux to work on my pc. Does not matter, which distribution. All I need is to make linux work on my laptop.

Some details are

Processor: Intel M Centrino 1.5 Ghz
    Graphic Card: ATI Mobile Radeon 9700

Just Joined!

Same problem

Hello,
    I am also having the EXACT SAME PROBLEM.

I have an Abit NF7-S2G, and I'm trying to get Mandrake 10.1 (CD Download) to work. I was able to get it all installed, and when starting, the status bar that says "Starting..." you stop just under the 'P' in 'Press'. When I hit 'esc' to see what's going on (Enter Verbose Mode) I found that it was stopping on the Network portion.

I do not have a second network card, the integrated card seems to be causing the problem.

I am unable to find any network drivers for Linux, either.

Anyway, it's not the splash screen causing the problems, the system continues to respond.

I went into BIOS and disabled the network controller. I was able to boot 100% into Mandrake and spent 30 glorious minutes thinking I had resolved the problem.

When I was fiddling around with the network control settings, I managed to make it stop responding and had to reboot. (At that point I could open menus / close windows but stuff like Start (don't know the linux term) -> Logoff didn't do anything) and I ctrl+alt+deleted it.
    Since then I haven't been able to get it to boot.

Please, help me!