Find the answer to your Linux question:
This is starting to do my head in. I was in the mmc, it was hours ago, I think I was looking at the syslog to see why my modem ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!
    In the cupboard under the stairs probably. nr Aylesbury

No gui reboot or shutdown options after freeze....

This is starting to do my head in.
    I was in the mmc, it was hours ago, I think I was looking at the syslog to see why my modem was finally working as it should at boot, the syslog was being opened and I pulled the window across to allow some room.
    Suddenly, the screen froze all except for the mouse curser which stayed at the little twin resizing window model.
    I had a ton of stuff open in the background too (some of which is gone forever waaaah!).
    I waited a while but it didn't unfreeze. so I hit the reset button(I hate doing that), whenit came back online there was a strange large white login box with my server hostname on it, rather than all the cute little usernames and Icons.
    All my settings for the stuff I had managed to get working properly were destroyed and I had to reconfigure modem, mouse, the clock display(wierd it now shows timezones instead of the date) and my default profile for firefox was still in use and I had to create another.
    Okay none of that was too big a prob, all fixed now.
    But ,and this is the headsplitting bit, I cannot get the logoff to change back to the reboot, shutdown,or start new session options, it just goes back to the strange server hostname login screen, I have tried multiple(and I mean alot) times to change it in the
    System>configuration>KDE>system>login manager.
    And In the MMC, though i cannot find the options to enable this. and just about everywhere.
    Is there someplace else I could find a file to edit or a box to tick which will bring this back?
    I have webmin and apachephp mysql etc blah blah running too.
    This is MDK 10.1 btw.
    The screen froze because I hadn't got the nvidia drivers reinstalled.

Linux Guru
    Sounds like you switched from using kdm to gdm. You should be able to switch back using either MCC or KDE Control Center.

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!
    Thanks Jeremy,
    I gues KDM is KDE Desktop Manager?
    and GDM is Gnome Desktop Manager then?
    Hmmm I will try and see if i can find where that is setup, I think I'll go and RTFM for a bit.

Just Joined!
    I cannot find anything that changes the type of logout, the options I had before were to start a new session, reboot or shutdown, booting into linux from lilo it was a splash screen with all the unix users listed.
    I suspect that one of the configuration files has been chewed up in the bad shutdown and it is defaulting to some other means of gui login.
    The KDE manual and other documentation doesn't help.

Ahaaa, found it.
    KDM means kde display manager. Which in MDK is called the MdkKDM.
    I was running the XDM instead, though how it got switched I dunno.
    Anyway you were right Jeremy, just took me a while to understand it.
    Ta much.