Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm very stuck on this ssl stuff. I've got two machines, effectively server and client. Server is running a MySQL database, upon which, I've used webmin/vi to do all ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

libssl.so.4 (and MySQL installation)

Hi, I'm very stuck on this ssl stuff.

I've got two machines, effectively server and client. Server is running a MySQL database, upon which, I've used webmin/vi to do all the configuration so far. I now need something a bit more user-friendly.

So, on the client (Mandrake 10.1, workstation install + patches from MandrakeUpdate), I've downloaded mysql-administrator and mysql-query. Both are the redhat RPMs from the mysql site. Administrator installed and worked perfectly.

However, mysql-query fails to install, telling me that it can't find libssl.so.4.

So, I looked into RPMFind etc, and established it should be part of OpenSSL. Great, download the latest version of that and run the installation. But it doesn't create libssl.so.4, so I'm now completely stuck.

Have I got completely the wrong idea about OpenSSL? Or have I just missed something in the documentation that would tell me what I need to do to create the missing files?

Have you tried getting the files via urpmi? with
    Code:
    su
    [rootpass]
    urpmi  openssl
    you might want to replace that with
    Code:
    urpmi libssl
    have you tried looking for libssl at [url]http://rpm.pbone.net[/code]

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!
    Hmm, well, I got it in the end.

urpmi openssl didn't get me anywhere - it just told me it was already installed. urpmi libssl then failed on a dependency. So I tried the library rpm as you advised, which sort of worked - it told me there were dependencies on libssl, so I tried forcing it, which not only installed the missing file, it installed another file that was the dependency of libssl!

So it's all working now!

Thanks for the help!

Well I'm glad you have it all up and running
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2