Find the answer to your Linux question:
My Windows XP use to be fine till I downloaded mandrake. now 70% of the time I can't connect to the internet through my dsl modem....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux causes Windows XP Home errors

My Windows XP use to be fine till I downloaded mandrake. now 70% of the time I can't connect to the internet through my dsl modem.

"Linux causes Windows XP Home errors".
    ..and this is bad?

Seriously though, are you saying that your connection to the Internet through Windows is not working properly since you installed Mandrake?

Are they on the same HD? If so, did you do a thorough defrag of XP before installing Mandrake? Since Windows often puts files at the end of it's partition/drive, files can get decapitated during the resizing and creation of new partitions.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Linux Engineer
    I've had cases where linux distros have put the nic card to 'sleep' when they've booted down. When XP boots up it has trouble waking the card up. Only solution was to disconnect the pc from the power supply for a few seconds.

Happened with an earlier version of knoppix and one other but can't remember what that was.

I'd check the shutdown scripts that mandrake uses and tweak the way it shuts down the nic.
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Quote Originally Posted by Chris H
    I've had cases where linux distros have put the nic card to 'sleep' when they've booted down. When XP boots up it has trouble waking the card up. Only solution was to disconnect the pc from the power supply for a few seconds.
    I've had that happen but with certain live CDs. after using them and rebooting, my regular distro wouldn't come up. The only solution was to unplug the box, wait a few seconds and try again. That usually fixed it. I didn't know that could happen with nics as well.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    Yes, Its on the same hard drive, but it seem ok now since I found a way of getting the internet to work again. But now my cd rw drive won't work until I click My Computer. No auto run. Is there anyway of fixing it. It use to work before I got mandrake on.