Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi folks, I've finally upgraded my Mandrake 10.0 Community to 10.1 Official. They've apparently introduced a system similar to what RedHat does for updated called Mandrakeonline. I tried registering for ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mandrakeonline

Hi folks,

I've finally upgraded my Mandrake 10.0 Community to 10.1 Official. They've apparently introduced a system similar to what RedHat does for updated called Mandrakeonline. I tried registering for it but it looks as if you need to pay some kind of membership in order to download upgrades and what not. Funnily enoughm Mandrakeupdate is still bundled with MCC.

Anyone knows for sure whether you really have to pay for mdkonline?

Cheers

-Jean-Loup

As far as I know, you have to pay for MandrakeOnline. Oddly enough, it seems to be more of an update notification system than anything else; MandrakeUpdate still works beautifully. I would think that MandrakeOnline adds something besides notification (it's a paid subscription, for God's sake, I would hope it does something else), but as I haven't paid for the "subscription" I couldn't tell you for sure.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Linux Guru
    No, you don't have to pay. Just go here and setup your resources:

http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy1701
    No, you don't have to pay. Just go here and setup your resources:

http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/

Jeremy
    MandrakeOnline is different than MandrakeUpdate.

Of course, it's still a good idea to go there and add the plf and contrib repositories
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    If it's just a notification system then it's not worth the bother. Mandrakeupdate can be a bit shaky, I've had trouble with some mirrors in the past but otherwise it works for me