Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have Toshiba A75-S206 laptop with a built in wireless card (Atheros AR5004G Wireless Network Adapter). I installed Mandrake 10.1 yesterday. I have been searching various forums to see how ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Atheros AR5004G Wireless not recognized in Mandrake 10.1

I have Toshiba A75-S206 laptop with a built in wireless card (Atheros AR5004G Wireless Network Adapter). I installed Mandrake 10.1 yesterday. I have been searching various forums to see how to make Mandrake recognise this card. Its not there in the lists given by NDISWrapper or MadWIFI.

I am very very new to linux. Can you please help me? I dont want to go back to XP.

Without wireless, it will be difficult to use the laptop at home.

Just Joined!
    Can someone please help?

Or should I switch back?

if you can find the XP drivers. Download them. Extract them. Find the files that end with .inf and .sys then follow the directions on the ndiswrapper page. Their is a card listed which seems very similar to yours so it probably is the same chipset and your then will probably work.

If you can find these files then I can help if you need more advice.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Just Joined!
    I have the setup program for this card on WinXP. However, when I do install this, I do not see any ".inf" or ".bin" files.

Am I missing something?

I couldn't find proper windows drivers for your card either. but i read some stuff about a project called madwifi releasing linux drivers for your card. i don't have the time to research this but if you google it you may find some answers of post another thread with madwifi in the title. Sorry....good luck!
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

This was a nightmare for me, but only because documentation is never complete when you find it. If you find it though there's not much to it. You need to install the madwifi drivers which are available as rpms directly from mandrake now. You can also find them on rpm.pbone.net .I will post tomorrow the link to the original site I found which was a gem for me, but in the meantime this one has similar details. I'll just have to find that old link.

http://madwifiwiki.thewebhost.de/wik...MadwifiModules

This should get you going a bit, but all I know is that not only does my card appear to work and is recognised in kwifimanager, but also is hotswappable (it's pcmcia). Now all I need to do is find a free wifi spot to test it on...

Linux Enthusiast
    The MadWIFI website, where you can download the sources from.

AFAIK MadWIFI is not distributed with MDK, but might be avalible as earlier told from some contribute/shared resource.

Nope, it is available from Mandrake- originally only on Powerpack, but as of 10.1 it is available on disk 3 of Community and Official.

Linux Enthusiast
    Well, I don't intend to make a argument here, but I am using MDK 10.1 and I cant seem to find it on the discs. Do you know what it is called in MDK? I know for fact it is delivered together with SuSE9.2.
    If you know the name of the module in MDK10.1 it is a good knowledge for a bunch of people here that actually asks about this. And most of the times at least I do recommend a source download.
    Or could it just be so that you have access to it through the Powerpack?