Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, everyone. I'm a new Linux user. I recently installed Mandrake 10.0 on my computer. It loads the KDE fine but the mouse and keyboard are unresponsive. The keyboard worked ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mouse and keyboard issues

Hello, everyone.

I'm a new Linux user. I recently installed Mandrake 10.0 on my computer. It loads the KDE fine but the mouse and keyboard are unresponsive. The keyboard worked during the installation, but the mouse didn't. It's a standard eMachines keyboard and a Logitech Wireless Optical mouse, but I tried switching the mouse for a standard eMachines one and it didnt work either. As you can imagine, this makes using Linux difficult. Thanks for your help.

Michael

Just Joined!
    I'm sorry, I hate to bump in a forum, but I could really use some help.

Michael

Is it a usb wireless or ps2? Sometimes using an adapter to make it ps2 will help. Do you get any error messages when you boot (press escaped during the boot process and you can see everything start/fail at boot)?
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    It already is a USB mouse with a PS/2 adapter. I tried booting it again and this time the keyboard worked, and from there I could configure the mouse. I messed around for a bit playing with applications and such, then I restarted it so that it would recognize an external harddrive that I had just plugged in. This time it booted up like it had been, no keyboard or mouse. There werent any obvious error messages in the bootup process either.

Michael

Just Joined!
    Update: the keyboard doesnt get detected in the boot sequence. Pressing Esc or any of the keys prompted does nothing.

I'm not sure why the keyboard worked the one time.

Michael

Just Joined!
    You have a spare keyboard that you can try?

Just Joined!
    Actually, I messed around with it some more, and have come up with the theory that if windows is shut down properly with no errors, Linux will run correctly upon reboot. If it crashes or I Ctrl-Alt-Del it, Linux doesnt recognize the keyboard or mouse. Thanks for the help anyways.

Michael