Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have acquired a Compaq laptop, and the previous owner said he had Mandrake (9.0 i think) running on it. Well, when I received the laptop and tried to boot ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Used Blues.

I have acquired a Compaq laptop, and the previous owner said he had Mandrake (9.0 i think) running on it. Well, when I received the laptop and tried to boot it up it goes thru post, and then comes up with "GRUB" in the top left screen, and stops responding (except for CAPS Lock, NUM Lock, and SCROLL Lock).

I would like to put DOS/Windows on this laptop, as I obtained it to play older "Classic" games.

Please, any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    FloppyRat

Linux Guru
    So, pop in your Windows disk and start the computer. It'll install right over MDK and Grub.

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Linux Enthusiast
    If you have an old Win98 floppy start disk, you can start with this first, and issue command
    Code:
    fdisk /mbr
    so you'll remove Grub boot loader from your master boot record

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Ok, sorry guys, I guess I should have included a bit more information on the problem, my bad. I did try to install DOS 6.22 (Did i mention this was for Classic games, lol) and it did install, but just will not boot. To be honest I never thought about if a windows install disk would fix my problem or not.

What swemic is purposing is more along the lines of what I think I need. I do have a 98 boot disk, and will give that a try this afternoon, once I get home.

Thanks guys for helping this old fashioned idiot.

FloppyRat

Just Joined!
    Just wanted to take a moment to tell you guys again, THANKS!!!!

Got home & performed the "fdisk /mbr" task, and it is booting up to DOS now. Installed my games, and me is very happy person.

Later.

FloppyRat