Find the answer to your Linux question:
Mandrake 10.1 comes with Firefox 1.0 Preview Version, but since then Firefox 1.0 has come out. I'd like to upgrade for a couple reasons (i.e. the popup blocker seems broken--rarely ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Should I Wait for a urpmi Update?

Mandrake 10.1 comes with Firefox 1.0 Preview Version, but since then Firefox 1.0 has come out. I'd like to upgrade for a couple reasons (i.e. the popup blocker seems broken--rarely blocks popups and when it does it sometimes will close the popup AND every instance of firefox that is running, making it impossible to delete my junk mail in hotmail... also the display of emails in hotmail seems off...). Should I just wait for urpmi to come out with an update to 1.0? I'm not sure how long this will take, it's been out for about a month or so, will urpmi catch up in about a month usually? or is it more like a year behind? These are just annoyances, and I don't mind living with them if an update will be out soon. If it's going to take a long time, I'll just install it myself (I'd rather have it listed as a urpmi package so that I can easily UNinstall it later if I need to). If I install it myself should I uninstall the other version first? I'm sorry, I can figure out how to do the installation part myself, but these questions are more about opinions on how up to date urpmi is and whether it's worth it to wait or just do things manually.

Thanks,
    ........... Tim ............

Linux Enthusiast
    I can only speak for my self, I made an installation from the binaries at Mozilla.org site. If you install the binaries your self, the RPM database will not be notified about which version you actually are using. So that is more or less the only issue. Good or bad, but you can keep your original installation if you wish.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the info. I wasn't completely sure whether it would keep track of things that way. Does anyone know how long it normally takes for an update to come out for something like this in urpmi?

Linux Guru
    There are already ff 1.0 rpms on the web. You can find them by googling.
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude